Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a '01 IS300. Woke up on morning, started my car, but couldn't put it in gear. Turns out I blew 2 fuses in the engine compartment which basically disable all my electrical components in my car.

The problem is I can not pull the 60A ABS and 120A ALT fuses from the box to replace. I think they are bolted in from below, but don't know how to get to the bolt? Any help at this point is great, don't want to take the car in for such a simple fuse issue (or maybe its not simple).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
if you blew those fuses then there is something majorly wrong with either your battery or alternator
those fuses just dont blow out all the time, thats why they arent easy to take out right now. you have to take apart the fuse box and unscrew two phillips holding it down, its hidden.
if you replace the two fuses (which are pretty pricey) and the problem is still there, they'll just pop again.
what made these fuses pop? do you know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuse Issue

Thanks for the reply.

The fuses are around $18 each at the dealership, but am trying generic ones from Shucks. As for how it happened, I have no clue. I bought the car in Feb. of last year and could have been a previous owner issue.

I plan to replace the fuses and go from there to asses the real problem, but I am hoping its not the alternator, more so just bad fuses.

As far as the screws - - There is the black engine compartment fuse box that prevents me from accessing the bolts which lock down the two fuses. Are you saying to detach the fuse box from the frame (3 hex bolts) and then I will find the screws /or I can access the screws without detaching the box from the car?

Can you be more specific as to the location of these "hidden" screws? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
2 fuses wouldn't pop without an issue like said above.

Any recent installs? System? Anything

D

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
is300soon's all over this one. I concur.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is stock, no modifications.

It may be the issue, but I think the first step (for me at least) is to replace the fuses and see if they blow again. If they do, then I will proceed with alternatives to the problem. I spent $20 on the fuses, just need to know how to gain access to the bolt below the fuse!!

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The fuses sit on a 'tray' that can be snapped out.

You'll need to take off the large 4gauge wire coming from the alternator hanging off the side. That unbolts and unsnaps out.

You'll see the tabs for the tray at the inner sides of the fuse box. I remember the one closest to the fender being a hard reach. Once you get the tabs unlatched, it might still be stiff to pull up the tray due to all the stiff wires underneath. Pull the tray only up enough to get at the bolts...I think they were 10 or 8mm terminal bolts.

Good luck.

Reactions: is300soon

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Yeah what the hell did you do?

18 bucks for alts fuse?! god damn

Go to an auto parts store and order it for 5-8 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**ATTACHED Photos

Thank you TeCKis300. I finally did get a technician who knew what they where talking about to call me from the dealership. I looked at it and I see the snaps, but Holy SH!t. it is hard to pull the fuse tray.

I did remove the 10mm bolt that holds the alternator cable, I did not try to take the alternator cable completely off the box, but will try tomorrow. This is turning into a crazy job.

VP500, the dealership quoted me $18 for the fuse, thus why I don't want to take the car in, too expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Things are stiff and tight...but it is by no means too crazy. Just take your time and methodically work at it and try not to break anything.

The alternator cable should unclip easy enough.

Keep an eye out for shorts. Like is300soon said, these fuses do not trip easily. It takes a real short to blow them...there is definitely something else going on for them to have tripped.

Another option if you are good at soldering to troubleshoot - try opening the plastic see through cap on the blown fuse. Try to bridge it with solder. If it trips again, you need to find out where the real problem is.

Again...60amp and 120amp fuses need serious current to break. Proceed with caution. More than likely, something is going on at the alternator or wires to alternator. Is that 4 gauge wire off to the side in one piece? Rubbing on anything? Please let us know if you have anything aftermarket...even if u don't think that caused the issue. Water got somewhere it shouldn't have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TeCKis300, I will try this afternoon and get back to you. I wish I had a soldering kit, but no luck. I will have to replace the fuses and see, but thanks for the suggestion.

Again, there is NO aftermarket stereo or modifications, that I know of. The car was in an accident, which needed repairs to the front end, but that was before I bought it. Unfortunately I did not check the fuse box when I bought it, so for all I know the fuses may have had their plastic covers blown already and water may have seeped in.

We shall see when I replace the fuses. If it blows, then its off to a mechanic.

VP500, I did go to an auto parts store, bought both for under 10 bucks. Thanks

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
my fault, I should have read all the posts before asking you again if you had a system. Rep when I have a chance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Got it

So first and foremost, thank you all for the help, it saved me a ton of time and money. Below you will find my description of how to:

****Access the Engine Compartment Fuse Tray and replace the 120A and 60A cartridge fuses****

Preparing for the Job
I want to start by saying this is a 1+ hour job if everything goes smoothly. You will need:
  • small head flat screw driver
  • 8mm and 10mm Sockets
  • plyers
  • phillips head screw driver

Step 1
Take the fuse box cover off and locate your fuses. You will notice these two fuses are bolted down by 4 screws. 2 are on the back side facing the battery.

Step 2
Remove your battery. This will allow you extra room and to access the two screws mentioned above. Simply unscrew the hold downs and use your 10mm socket to unhook the connectors from your +/-. Pull the batter out.

Step 3
Next you need to detach the alternator cable from the fuse tray. You will notice a 10mm bolt next to the 60A fuse. Unscrew the bolt to allow the cable (and its plastic assembly) to be removed from the tray.

Note**I recommend to follow the cable 6 inches down and detaching the plastic pin which holds the cable to the frame. This will allow you to to pull the cable up from the fuse tray.

There are two clips that hold the black alternator plastic assembly to the fuse tray. These clips need to be pinched inward towards each other as you lift the assembly. Try lifting one side, then the other. Once detached, lift the cable out of the way.

Step 4
The next part is the trickiest. You will now need to unclip the fuse tray and lift it out of the black fuse box. There are 4 clips that hold it down; two located near the passenger fender, and two next to the 60A fuse. Separate the small clip and lift up by using your small head flat screwdriver. I recommend doing the two on the fender side first, then the ones next to the fuse. Use the plyers to grip a part of the tray to pull upward. Keep at it, it will come loose eventually

Step 5
Once the fuse tray is loose, you will not be able to pull it up very far due to the attached wires below, but just enough to access the 4 bolts that hold the 60A and 120A fuses. The front bolts are 8mm and the rear bolts (next the to battery) are 10mm. Use a socket wrench to pry these loose.

Step 6
Pull the fuses out, and put the new ones in. I suggest buying these fuses at a parts store, dealership would charge twice what you can get them at a local store. Use a phillips screw driver to hand tight, then use the socket wrench to fully tighten.

Step 7
You are home free at this point. Make sure everything is nice and tight, and snap the fuse tray back into place making sure the 4 pins go through the right holes (I missed one and had to disassemble) so the box cover fits back on. Slide the alternator plastic assembly back through the top of the box, and attach the alternator cable with the pin. Screw the 10mm bolt to tie down the tray.

Step 8
Place you battery back in and connect the cables back and tighten the tie downs. At this point test to see everything works, and if it does (in my case it did), cover it up and happy driving.

If you have any questions, use this board, it helped tremendously.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
+ rep, but when doing a write up id do a post with pics.

D

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out.

Care to pass me some rep? ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
so did you ever figure out what the problem was?
when those fuses popped it cause a pretty bright spark to burn those out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I posted pics on my earlier blog, but will do more next time around. Everything is good so far with just a fuse replacement. I will keep you all posted if it turns out to be more of an issue (such as a bad alternator per your comments).

Again thanks all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts