Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my ABS block does any one know the correct bleeding procedure?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
while you are at it, (i think you have an 01 right?) there should be a bleed plug/screw i think, can you look at yours to see if its straight in or tilted? mine is tilted.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TDLI said:
while you are at it, (i think you have an 01 right?) there should be a bleed plug/screw i think, can you look at yours to see if its straight in or tilted? mine is tilted.
I have an 02 and the bleed screw is not tilted.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I used a hand vacuum pump....stuck the rubber cap onto the bleeder screw...loosened it and pumped away...... just like the brakes and just made sure the reservoir didn't run too low.

EDIT:

I don't know about how it works when pumping the brakes....since I just used the vacuum bleeder. I believe there is some procedure involving having the ignition on for the ABS pump to work but someone else will have to chime in here. Perhaps you can PM Hiroshima who is the DIY guru with those excellent posts with photos.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CEB said:
I used a hand vacuum pump....stuck the rubber cap onto the bleeder screw...loosened it and pumped away...... just like the brakes and just made sure the reservoir didn't run too low.
Can you pump the brakes to do it, I tried it , it didnt work?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bummmp

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manual says to presurize the brake resoiver to bleed. So it looks like vacuum pump might work. Pedal method does not seem too. The problem is my vacuum pump sucks in air from around the bleeder screw with the nipple so it always has air bubbles.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
get a pressure bleeder. Prob cost you like $50 Vacume bleeding sux teh asss . You always wind up with bubbles.
here is the one I have. I modified it by buying a spare resovoir cap and fiting it to the hose.
Note: I used to put fluid in the bottle.. I do not do this anymore because it makes a mess. I toverfills the resoivoir..
http://www.trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/20

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
pedal doesn't work because it has to engage the abs. lol..

just get a vacuum bleeder or presure bleeder. it's too easy. i've used the airhose vacuume method many times.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL read post have vacuum bleeder.

IS_Dude said:
pedal doesn't work because it has to engage the abs. lol..

just get a vacuum bleeder or presure bleeder. it's too easy. i've used the airhose vacuume method many times.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
Sentinel said:
LOL read post have vacuum bleeder.
ah, gothca, just try to create a seal around the screw thingy when you get it on there. you should be able to get a good enough seal to do the job.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Myis300t said:
get a pressure bleeder. Prob cost you like $50 Vacume bleeding sux teh asss . You always wind up with bubbles.
here is the one I have. I modified it by buying a spare resovoir cap and fiting it to the hose.
Note: I used to put fluid in the bottle.. I do not do this anymore because it makes a mess. I toverfills the resoivoir..
http://www.trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/20
Yeah my thoughts, buy a spare cap drill a hole in it for a barberd fitting and pressurize with the outlet of my vacuum pump or my compressor turned down.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As usual the auto parts store carry very little for japanese cars, maybe they think they are a fad? turns out the same stuff I made to pressure test my intercooler pipes fit over the abs. Turned my compressor to 15 psi and it was quite easy. Ill never wear my mother out bleeding brakes again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In other brands of vehicles (I haven't attempted this with the IS) you turn the ignition key to "on/run" which will energize the abs pump. After doing this, when the brake pedal is depressed the pump assists in the bleeding. I have both a vacula vacuum bleeder and a motiv pressure bleeder both of which work well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts