Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been lagging this project for over a year so far.. and this weekend... i had the balls to just try it.

After trying to do it myself.. i realized couple things...

1. ALOT of patience is needed... I dont have patience..

2. To remove the front lense of the headlight is HARD... imo... i used a blowdryer... i cant say this didnt work.. once again.. u need alot of patience...

3. I didnt want to wetsand and mess up.. so i just took a risk and just sprayed the chrome part w/o sanding it... result? it came out fairly good i have to say.. i did 3 light~medium coats...

4. THe paint i used was... Brake Caliper Paint by PLastic-Kote? something like that.. HI-GLOSS BLACK... which came out pretty good i would say.. i did go heavy on the spray so the color came out light black.. almost a GGP IS color.. which is what i have... im sure its darker than GGP though..

I havent put my headlights back to gether but.. i plan to do that tom or later tonite.

Overall, the hardest part of the project is taking out the lense... other than that.. it shouldnt be hard.. well... ill update and try to post pix of it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!! FInally finished and here are the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/kennyx81/lst?.dir=/BLACKHOUSE&.view=l

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
aka_Altezza said:
I been lagging this project for over a year so far.. and this weekend... i had the balls to just try it.

After trying to do it myself.. i realized couple things...

1. ALOT of patience is needed... I dont have patience..

2. To remove the front lense of the headlight is HARD... imo... i used a blowdryer... i cant say this didnt work.. once again.. u need alot of patience...

3. I didnt want to wetsand and mess up.. so i just took a risk and just sprayed the chrome part w/o sanding it... result? it came out fairly good i have to say.. i did 3 light~medium coats...

4. THe paint i used was... Brake Caliper Paint by PLastic-Kote? something like that.. HI-GLOSS BLACK... which came out pretty good i would say.. i did go heavy on the spray so the color came out light black.. almost a GGP IS color.. which is what i have... im sure its darker than GGP though..

I havent put my headlights back to gether but.. i plan to do that tom or later tonite.

Overall, the hardest part of the project is taking out the lense... other than that.. it shouldnt be hard.. well... ill update and try to post pix of it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!! FInally finished and here are the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/kennyx81/lst?.dir=/BLACKHOUSE&.view=l
Looks great, I've been contemplating doing that to mine... 8)

·
Registered
404 Posts
holly crap that looks almost like my car. Only difference is my turnsignal's are blacked out. Just like you I think the black lights go well with the Ltuned front. Great job man.

Justin

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm... i never thought of doing that sidemarkers... although it dont make a big difference... maybe i should blackhouse sidemarkers as well.. hehe... if i could do the headlights.. its probably a piece of cake doing the sidemarkers.. but ima leave it like that for now...

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- im so FUCKING lazy, not sure if I'll ever do mine

·
Registered
608 Posts
looks good man..... next time instead of a hair dryer, i normally just stick the whole headlight in the oven at about 200 deg F for 5 mins. it gets the glue hot enough to peel the lens apart pretty easily. u may want to wear some glove tho. and u can do that to put them back together too. it makes it seal very well and usually wont fog up when it rains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.