Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how to paint the taillights black. I did the headlights and foglights already but i can't find enough information on how to do the back ones. I read that you had to cut the light open, but can someone be more detailed on how and where i am suppose to be cutting it? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Those are some good instructions but i would be careful using a razor, always cut away from your body or you can slip and seriously injure yourself.

I think it would take longer than 1/2 hour to cut them open using a razor.

I use a heat knife for cutting open taillights, works great.

·
Registered
508 Posts
yep. jus use some silicon to seal it up or get a glue gun.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Aznmojo said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how to paint the taillights black. I did the headlights and foglights already but i can't find enough information on how to do the back ones. I read that you had to cut the light open, but can someone be more detailed on how and where i am suppose to be cutting it? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
pm dut i believe he painted his tailights.

-ringo

·
Registered
631 Posts
I did my tail lights GGP. Looks different from JDM flat or chrome black. I used a utility knife (sharpy) to cut between the clear lens and the plastic. It took me a long time (more than 30 min.) Not sure how my Japanese friend did his. In any case, you have to be very careful in cutting it open. You can crack the clear lens or cut yourself. Patience is the key. Once open, it self explanatory what to do next to paint it. Putting it back together is easy and quick. I used RTV to seal it and no leaks

FYI, everyone who sees it asks me if my car is a Japanese model since I got my headlights and foglights in GGP color too. 8)

·
13,978 Posts
eortiz said:
I did my tail lights GGP. Looks different from JDM flat or chrome black. I used a utility knife (sharpy) to cut between the clear lens and the plastic. It took me a long time (more than 30 min.) Not sure how my Japanese friend did his. In any case, you have to be very careful in cutting it open. You can crack the clear lens or cut yourself. Patience is the key. Once open, it self explanatory what to do next to paint it. Putting it back together is easy and quick. I used RTV to seal it and no leaks

FYI, everyone who sees it asks me if my car is a Japanese model since I got my headlights and foglights in GGP color too. 8)

what kind of paint did you use?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am kind of confused. Should i be using a really thin razor knife so it can go between the clear plastic and the plastic? Or am i suppose to just go and cut the clear plastic part?

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
according to the website made by eortiz's japanese friend, i believe you cut the clear plastic apart. there is a plastic cutting tool that is supposed to work better than an exacto or normal razor..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok i took out the headlight and tried to cut it but its VERY hard. Where am i suppose to find this plastic cutter? Also why would it be a bad idea to just oven bake the light? Would it melt?

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
You use a heat gun or oven on the head light but for the tail lights this technique does not work so you have to cut the lenses off.

Aznmojo said:
Ok i took out the headlight and tried to cut it but its VERY hard. Where am i suppose to find this plastic cutter? Also why would it be a bad idea to just oven bake the light? Would it melt?

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
the tool you speak of is a hot knife, were the blade is heated like a soldering iron, it zips right through plastic.

irv_usc said:
according to the website made by eortiz's japanese friend, i believe you cut the clear plastic apart. there is a plastic cutting tool that is supposed to work better than an exacto or normal razor..

·
Registered
631 Posts
headlight lens removal can be done by just putting it in an oven until the "glue" melts where you can separate the lens. For the tail lights, you need to cut between the lens and the plastic since the method of attaching the clear lens for the tail light is some kind of glue that turns into hard plastic.

I can't remember the brand of the paint I used but I got it at AutoZone. They have a lot of OEM colors to choose from

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i tried to do the light today. I got 2 sides of the triangle separated and cut myself big time on the thumb. I got a plastic cutter but that wasn't THAT helpful. In the end i started burning a razor on the stove and just started melting the plastic with the blade. I finally got tired of doing it because the edges were all burnt... didn't look that great, so i decided to just go buy some JDM ones from Hong Kong... But thanks for the help you guys!

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Aznmojo said:
Well i tried to do the light today. I got 2 sides of the triangle separated and cut myself big time on the thumb. I got a plastic cutter but that wasn't THAT helpful. In the end i started burning a razor on the stove and just started melting the plastic with the blade. I finally got tired of doing it because the edges were all burnt... didn't look that great, so i decided to just go buy some JDM ones from Hong Kong... But thanks for the help you guys!
ouch!

fyi a lot of soldering irons have a heated knife attachment that lets you attach an exacto knife...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts