Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone changed stock emblems to black pearl themselves? I really like the look of the dark emblem but the price is ridiculous. If anyone knows how or could point me in the right direction that would be great thanks- jcon

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
It's easy. Don't spray your emblems, that's cheap and they won't come out like the authentic ones.

I got mine from Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota for $175.

There are plenty of tutorials with good detail, search for "dental floss" or "hair dryer" to find 'em.

Basically, you mask off the old emblems with masking tape, so you have a guideline to attach the new ones. Then you heat up the emblems with a hairdryer, and use dental floss to 'cut" the tape behind each logo. Clean with Goo-Gone followed by Windex, and install new emblems according to the tape masks. Simple, shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to do all 4.

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's easy. Don't spray your emblems, that's cheap and they won't come out like the authentic ones.

There are plenty of tutorials with good detail, search for "dental floss" or "hair dryer" to find 'em.

Basically, you mask off the old emblems with masking tape, so you have a guideline to attach the new ones. Then you heat up the emblems with a hairdryer, and use dental floss to 'cut" the tape behind each logo. Clean with Goo-Gone followed by Windex, and install new emblems according to the tape masks. Simple, shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to do all 4.
Actually the spray finish is QUITE durable, you cannot scratch it off with a finger nail and it is designed for the outside of windows. $175 for emblems..... :lol: .there is no way that is worth it. but whatever. I will post pics on emeblems for you disbelievers out there

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Fig said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Actually the spray finish is QUITE durable, you cannot scratch it off with a finger nail and it is designed for the outside of windows. $175 for emblems..... :lol: .there is no way that is worth it. but whatever. I will post pics on emeblems for you disbelievers out there
What you fail to realize is that the emblems NORMALLY cost $380 or MORE at most Lexus dealerships! $175 from Steve Ganz is a downright STEAL. Stop being cheap, get the real ones.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
- that is a grip for emblems... I will keep my eyes peeled :eek: for some in the parking lots....

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
<---------------I can do it myself, I will show you the way grasshopper :lol: .

Seriously, I took all my badges off, I could give fuck about the badges, just trying to help a fellow cheapie out.
word up jconturbo
seriously they look EXACLTY LIKE IT. how do you think the emblems get that way, they are painted. even the chrome is sprayed on plastic, it isn't REAL chrome. Not trying to dis, but I am an engineer, and I know that there is a simple solution for everything :)

Fig

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Fig said:

Seriously, I took all my badges off, I could give f*ck about the badges, just trying to help a fellow cheapie out.
word up jconturbo
seriously they look EXACLTY LIKE IT. how do you think the emblems get that way, they are painted. even the chrome is sprayed on plastic, it isn't REAL chrome. Not trying to dis, but I am an engineer, and I know that there is a simple solution for everything :)

Fig
Yeah, they are just painted plastic, but does it matter? How can you feel proud about something you took in your back yard and spraypainted for $7? I'd be downright ASHAMED to have home-made emblems on my car.

In addition, how would you reattach them once you've painted them? Cut strips of 3M tape and jurry-rig that too? The whole idea is half-assed and cockamamy.

It's great to save a few bucks sure, but if you had to save a few bucks, you wouldn't have bought a Lexus. You bought a Lexus because it's LEXUS. It's obviously not the best power or handling or comfort or looks or reliability for the money. You bought your car because it is a LEXUS! Treat it as such!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Fig said:

Seriously, I took all my badges off, I could give f*ck about the badges, just trying to help a fellow cheapie out.
word up jconturbo

Fig
- what kind of paint do you use?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a "LExus" and "IS300" brandnew, still in toyota box and wrapping. IF your interested i'll sell cheap. That way u can just get the "L" emblem for cheaper too. hows 100 bux or something?

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
dut said:
Fig said:

word up jconturbo

Fig
- what kind of paint do you use?
VHT makes a spray on window film. It isn't really a paint as it runs very nicely to form a thin coating of "smoke" on any smooth surface. It is designed for use on glss so it has a high adhesion to smooth materials. And it is as durable as regular window film. SO mild cleaners will not take it off. It can be removed with LAquer thinner if you don't like it. they sell it everywhere but I bought mine from summit racing equipment for 6.95. I did my fornt headluights with it but I tested it on my emeblems first. works like a charm.

FIg

·
Twisties Addict
13,069 Posts
ISzBest said:
I have a "LExus" and "IS300" brandnew, still in toyota box and wrapping. IF your interested i'll sell cheap. That way u can just get the "L" emblem for cheaper too. hows 100 bux or something?
Thats not a very good price :roll:
$40 an emblem :wink:

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
bad to the bone said:
I got Black peal L,s from the dealer
If you're willing to sell the L let me know. PM me, and if anyone has the entire set for sale please pm me. I also have items to trade if you're looking for it. ie A51 strut bar....etc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts