Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if it was possible to paint a cf hood black but still be able to see the cf. I know you can with blue or red or any other color but i dont know about black. This would give the effect of a black hood even more than the color of cf which it is now, but still notice the cf. (sounds crazy huh) I was probably just going to paint the hood to match but if i could do this i would instead because i think it would just be awesome. I dont really want a different color hood but i wanted the vis one becuse it has an aggressive look to it.

Also i can get it painted to match at a very good place for about $200. Think i could get a better price?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Well that's weird but nevertheless not lame. I would say that you would need some sort of special transparent paint. If you were to just paint it with the OEM color, it would just go right over it. The paint is solid.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
haha weird i was thinkin bout this a few weeks back... cus our stock hoods are heavy as a mofo i was thinkin of buying a cf hood and as you said... find some kind of paint to go over the cf, so that it looks like a normal stock hood color [i have ibp] from far but when you look close you can see the cf weaves... anyone wanna chime in ? how much it would be?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
This probably is possible if you find some kind of transparent paint and not put heavy coats of paint....but not really sure...hope everything turns out sounds sick...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
You can paint a light haze of paint on there, so you can still tell that it's made of carbon fiber. Otherwise, painting carbon fiber is the same as any other material.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hood

Well the hood is getting sprayed tommarow and i guess i will just paint it the same color as my black IS. The painter said with any other color besides black this is possible. Such as blue, yellow, red, etc. You just spray two VERY thin and EVEN coats on the surface. So for all you that were laughing it is possible apparently. Now i wish i had a different color car just so i could do this because i think it would look sick. Somebody should do this thou.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Re: hood

BLKIS3 said:
Well the hood is getting sprayed tommarow and i guess i will just paint it the same color as my black IS. The painter said with any other color besides black this is possible. Such as blue, yellow, red, etc. You just spray two VERY thin and EVEN coats on the surface. So for all you that were laughing it is possible apparently. Now i wish i had a different color car just so i could do this because i think it would look sick. Somebody should do this thou.
aight, don't get mad. didn't mean to laugh "at you" just at the clear coat remark. You can get the c.f. painted darker (as in black) on a black car (i have a onyx IS). It's not the technic that your body shop guy is saying tho (in thin layers, this would work with other colors as you said).

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
comment

the comment wasnt towards just you man. I just meant for anyone who thought that you couldnt do this...you can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts