Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my black Onyx for several months and from several Lexus dealers and different body shops I can not get a 100% consensus as to whether or not the black Onyx is a clear coat. I have had several Lexus body shops give me conflicting answers. Does't make that much difference but would like to know. Some top rated Lexus body shops take real strong stands but with conflicting results as to the Onyx being a clear coat. Some yes and some no. Really confusing. Even contacted Lexus and they too have come back with several different opinions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hm.that would explain why waxing it and using any kind of cut cleaner has been a total b*tch!! thought it was a clear coat this whole time dammit! :bitching:

·
Registered
208 Posts
My paint guy says that its a black onyx mixed with the clear coat....instead of black then a clear coat.

hence the easy paint chips on the hood.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kyung504 said:
My paint guy says that its a black onyx mixed with the clear coat....instead of black then a clear coat.

hence the easy paint chips on the hood.
In my experience using abrasive polishes, I've had my pads turn black. Not nearly as much as older single stage blacks (such as a black 91 celica that I detailed once), but definitely black paint coming off.

That the paint is prone to chipping, as I understand it, is due to the ban on leaded paint use. In theory all new cars are painted with unleaded paint and would be just as susceptible, but it does seem like my car chips more than other new cars I've paid attention to..

·
Registered
197 Posts
before buying my used Lex i was comparing the used BMW 3-series, Audi A4, among others...but the thing that i failed to notice was how the paint quality of the Lex was so poor compared to those other euro cars! Not sure why that is? but i'm also sure it's not b/c i'm being extra picky on the Lex either, since many other Lex owners will back me up on this...

that just sucks IMO! :bitching: :pissed:

·
Registered
190 Posts
yeah, I have noticed the paint on the roof of mine seems to be deteriorating slightly. I quickly put some turtle wax black wax on it then some carnuba on top. But really sucks since its an 01, makes me wanna put a clear coat on it. Its not real bad, just looks like little tiny etch marks scattered out.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
brc said:
before buying my used Lex i was comparing the used BMW 3-series, Audi A4, among others...but the thing that i failed to notice was how the paint quality of the Lex was so poor compared to those other euro cars! Not sure why that is? but i'm also sure it's not b/c i'm being extra picky on the Lex either, since many other Lex owners will back me up on this...

european paint= metalic paint (usually lead)
lexus paint= water based environmental friendly paint... errr.. pront to chip.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
blueIS said:
brc said:

european paint= metalic paint (usually lead)
lexus paint= water based environmental friendly paint... errr.. pront to chip.
I'm not so sure about that. I know Porsche, Volvo and SAAB use water based paint. Or at least they claim to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts