Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of deciding what color to get for my new IS.

I've done some mad searching on this forum to find opinions and pics of the different colors; I've also been down to the dealer to see some of the colors in person.

I'm deciding between black, imperial jade (green), and spectra blue. My last car (Eclipse AWD Turbo) was green and I love that color to death!

Black is really #1 choice. This car looks sweet in black! I can't wait to see it after I tint the windows. But, I've read on this forum that black is hard to keep clean.

Having never had a black car before, can anyone elaborate on this?? Do you find it "hard to clean" to the point where you wish you got another color? I live on the east coast.

Also, any comments on the imperial jade? I've seen a few pics of it on the forum; but, the pics look too washed out for me to get a decent idea. I would have to drive two hours to see one in green (it seems that they aren't very popular).

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, which interior do you think best matches the black? I've only seen black with black; but, I think the black/ivory would have more contrast and would thus look better. Comments?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last post; I promise.

I'm drooling over the thought of black with gold badges.

Anyone have pics of such?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lexnex, if you're interested in looking badass, get black. Badass dudes don't care about the little swirlies because they have better things to do.

But if you're a normal guy who likes to spend his time babying a car, go with the other colors.

I'd personally get black. I'd Zaino it, but if swirlies show or whatever, I'll just take it to a handwash place and get it clean. I think it's retarded when I see people inspecting all parts of their car looking for imperfections. Their priorities aren't in the right order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"bad ass"... my thoughts exactly about the black. Main reason why I want it so much.

as long as i can get it reasonably clean, i'll be happy.

and, what is "Zaino?"

·
Registered
515 Posts
In my opinion, Black looks the best when it is clean. But when it is dirty it is the worst. I will clean my car and within two days it looks dirty again. It takes more work to keep a black car clean, my last car was white and it would look clean for weeks after i got it washed, now I have to wash my car atleast twice a week

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Good thing about black is its harder to see the watermarks
Damn sprinkler....
And i'm too lazy to buff it out.
The imperial jade looks sweet in real life up close (i think) Looks ugly in the pictures and far away. But don't bash me green IS guys! Just my 2cents!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I had a black Maxima for 8 years. Don't get black!

There is a sweet pic of Jade w/tint & spoiler - search under username: accelr8...It looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Black IS is a great color, but just be ready to clean it every other day. I can see a layer of dust already a day after I wash the car, and after it rains, it looks like a complete different color. I have known people mistaken my car for a dark green/graphite car when it was dirty.
But when it is clean, I don't think any thing can come close to its beauty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually have graphite grey, but it has the same problem as black. The worst part is rain; the second it stops and your car dries it looks like crap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Black isn't hard to clean. It's hard to keep clean. I had a black car for 5 years, going with silver now.

--k

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got a black IS too, yeah, it's hard to keep clean.
but it looks really cool especially when the sun is going down.
I uses Meguiar's Gold Class/Glass wax but the "swirlie" appear after one wash!

[This message has been edited by Type-IS (edited January 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
one advantage to black, is the motor area looks normal, and not dirty like with white, plus your greasy fingerprints aren't as appearent, and it is the least reflective color to laser speed detection

·
11,061 Posts
Black, Blue and Green are hard to keep clean. I would have gotten the green, but I didn't happen to like the particular shade that was offered. I agree that Black is great...but the worst when it's dirty. I have a heck of a time keeping up with my SBM, but when the sun shines on the clean car, 'tis love all over again.

------------------
'01 SBM, Black Leather - LSD - 17" Graphite Wheels - Loaded (minus moon roof)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also agree that black looks best when clean...but maintaining black to look good at all times is a biatch...have to dust or quick wax all the time to get dried water spots off. After washing your car and then drying, you'll think its dry...but right when you drive off, all this water comes out of the cracks in your side-view mirrors and rear bumper/trunk leaving dried ugly water marks everywhere. The worst thing is when you get chips in the front, car dings, scratches and even more chips on the side of your car when driving over rocks that shoots up from the tire its the worst to look at. Plain and simple, I would not get a black car unless its a show car that I don't daily drive. Lighter colors like white, silver, and yellow are easier to maintain.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have had two black cars in the past. After my first one I said never again, then it was stolen after 3 months. Then I went and got another black car. Black looks awesome when it is clean for the first 5 minites.
I had a silver 4Runner and that was the easiest car to keep clean I have ever had. BUT now I have a Graphite IS. It is about in between the black and silver. The lighter shade along with the metalic in the paint makes it look cleaner longer.
Plus, like Rberga1 posted, you notice EVERY little imperfection on the car. EVERYTHING!

------------------
2001 Graphite/Black, LSD, Heated Seats.
TTE rear spoiler and SRT Intake coming soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Camry is metallic silver, and I will say that it is a beautiful color. Even when dirty it looks clean from far away (the black bumpers still look dirty tho
). Metallic gray also looks good, as does white. All my opinions of course. As for dust, GET a California Car Duster, only $10 from Wal-Mart, and is great for taking off that dust that appears the day after you wash the car. Great for shows, as well as everyday use.

------------------
Patrick
1989 Camry 5-speed
Mods: Suspension, intake, exhaust, stereo, interior
The ImportMania Performance Page
http://importspeed.net/importmania

·
Registered
921 Posts
NO NO NO!!! DO NOT get the california duster. I WILL scratch your pain. It collects some dust but moves lots of it around causing scratches.
I know from experience.

------------------
2001 Graphite/Black, LSD, Heated Seats.
TTE rear spoiler and SRT Intake coming soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts