Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Silver 01 IS and I'm looking to get some 2 tone rims that are black or charcoal and chrome/stainless. Does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is probably $1,000, but I'd be much happier spending ~$500, so I could also get some nice tires, Im willing to buy used so don't only suggest by the MSRP.

Also, 18" or 19"? Stock height, dont intend on lowering it as I grind on enough shit as it is! lol

·
Premium Member
14,403 Posts
For $500, you're only going to get ugly knockoff/ricer wheels.

I would say you save up to about $1500 and get used wheels from rbmotoring.com or memoryfab.com

good luck!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Shit will look funny with stock height on 18s or 19s...just sayin.

You will not find a nice set at $500. You better just keep on saving....Look to spend over 1000 for sure without tires. You can find a decent set for around 1K but tires for 18s will be at least 500. So....1500-2000 is where you're looking at.

Search though....You will see a lot of MSMs with gunmetal/black polish/matte black/chrome wheels on this forum.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yep alot more money than you are thinking. especially with tires..
look into the tsw snetterton in chrome, i think thatd look real nice with a small drop (1") and i would def recommend 18 over 19, IMO 18s look alot more natural on the car as long as it has a slight drop, 18s or 19s with stock suspension height = 4x4 monster truckn

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Like I said my budget is ~$1,000, if that means I have to buy used rims, so be it. What I'm really looking for is some brand/styles that are good.

If you have any suggestions on good lowering kits too that would be cool, I'd like to lower it as little as possible and still have some 18s look nice.

Thanks

Something like these....they are $200 each on discounttire.com

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Man, my opinion...Those wheels look like ass. Why don't you just save $500 more and get a nice decent set of used wheels. Works, rays, volks, ssr, bbs, ect...even other OEM wheels are better than those. Like the 2IS, tourmalines, g spyder wheels.

As for lowering....most basic and common set up is the eibach pro-kit springs w/bilsteins or tokico hp or even just with OEM shocks. I am running on pro-kit springs with OEM shocks...which is just fine because it's a modest drop.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Keep browsing through the for sale thread and you will occasionally find a good set on legit wheels for under 1500....and also lowering springs and shocks.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,028 Posts
IMy budget is probably $1,000, but I'd be much happier spending ~$500,
:lol: We all would be much happier spending 500!

What wheels would fall under "legit"? Names? styles? This is what I need lol
None in your price range, but Advan, Rays, HRE, Work, CCWs are all around 3k after shipping! Keep saving or keep them stock would be my advice to you. Any wheels under 1k are gonna be complete junk! However at the end of the day it's your car so if you find a pair of 500 dollar wheels you like then go for it.

Try the FS forums too

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
^^under $1000 does not mean junk.....check out other forums and their FS section. plenty of quality legit used wheels under a grand.

you don't have to resort to rays, volk, bbs, ssr, etc for a good set of wheels (however preferable) companies like enkei, 5zigen make quality wheels at an affordable price.

here we go 5zigen FN01RC for $700 i found that in two seconds. those are very good quality wheels right there. you can't beat that for the price.

$1100 Volk GT-N there's cheap wheels out there that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for...

·
Boostin in the 505
2,028 Posts
why buy new when you can buy better wheels for less than the price for new inferior wheels?
Because most of the time they are gonna be scratched and curbed all to hell. Find me a pair of Volks for sale for 1k that are in good condition! I personally wouldn't want a set that are blemished no matter how cheep they are.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Because most of the time they are gonna be scratched and curbed all to hell. Find me a pair of Volks for sale for 1k that are in good condition! I personally wouldn't want a set that are blemished no matter how cheap they are.
that's a pretty tall order. think about what you just asked. but also think about paying half the price and then paying a few hundred dollars more to get them refinished to whatever color/finish you want. in the end you'd still be saving hundreds of dollars.

this is what eminence did. he bought used TE's then widened/refinished them and ended up saving $300 (nope $600) compared to buying new ones. now that's thinking outside the box IMO

My rear fenders have already been flared out awhile back. The original wheels I had on when the flares were done, were Volks CE28N + 40 (with a 25mm spacer), making it +15. The wheels sat out pass the fender a bit, but rubbing was very minimum because I had my coilover on a preload.

But I will be getting front fenders extended to accommodate 9.5" wheels for the future.

I paid only $1650 shipped for the LE37 from a guy on Zilvia. They were in pristine condition when I got them and could have just thrown them on but I didn't want the machined lipped.

The wheel company is charging me $225 per wheel to get it widened, whether it's 1" or 3" addition. Plus the cost of powdercoating would be $180 for both wheels, totalling $405 said and done.

My total investment on the wheels so far

$1650 (actual wheels)
$180 (powdercoat front wheels)
$30 (Vollk Sticker Set)
$450 (wheel widen)
$180 (powdercoat rear wheels)

= $2490.

I don't think that's a bad deal seeing that Mackin jacked up the price on the TE37, I think I saved over $600, going this way.

As for the fender extension, it will cost me around $100-200 per side. That's not including the paint work, but that doesnt matter because the entire car is getting resprayed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Uhhh...that's why I asked it, I was trying to make a point that it's not gonna happen.
be reasonable and think realistically. you're not going to find a set of mint volks used for under a grand. the point i am trying to make is that buying used saves you lots of money which you can spend elsewhere or for something else on your car.

to begin with i said that there are plenty of used legit quality wheels that you can buy for under a grand i.e. enkei, 5zigen. i didn't say volk, ssr, etc..

edit: Rays Gramlights 57F $800 LIKE NEW

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Cheap and good. Try OZ or Enkei. Probably 17's thought. 18's ... not as likely. Plus, you should have been looking 3 months ago when they were on clearance, not now since rims are starting to be in demand again ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.