Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the symptoms of my car are the tail lights specifically the three brake lights are stuck on unless I pull the relay. Once the car is started and still in park the instrument cluster and dashlights will not turn on until the car is put into drive. Well still in park the starter motor is still trying to start the car and is whining. Once I go from Park to drive and it passes through neutral the car shuts off and turns back on on its own but once in drive all the symptoms besides the brake lights being on are gone. I do not do electrical and I hate trying to diagnose it and probably the reason why these symptoms came about. I put a bigger horn in the car onto the stock wires took out the stock horns and I started blowing the 10 amp fuse so I thought hey I'll just put a 20 amp fuse in it and call it a day. I've had it in there for about two years but I would only honk the horn for a second or two. The other day I blew the horn at my son for about 10 seconds while the car was running and as I started driving home kind of chugged out but then drove fine and it still drives fine now once and drive. It's the 18 spot under the hood on the driver side with a 10 amp fuse that I replaced and put a 20 amp fuse in it anybody have any suggestions on to where to start I still haven't figured out how to turn my brake lights off unless I just pulled the relay.

·
3,103 Posts
First off. Remove the 20 amp fuse. the wires are not rated for that much load. The wires could start to melt and cross or short other conponents. You should have just put a relay on the new horns with there own power and fuse. Then used the factory wire to trigger the relay. As for your other issues. It may have been caused by your poor choice of higher amp fuse. You will need to look over things more to determine the issue.

·
Mr. Roo
9,728 Posts
Might be a random suggestion, but I'd check the light bulbs themselves in the tail lights to make sure the contact solder hasn't melted a short between the contacts. I'd also take off the rear bumper and check the sidemarker wiring in there for any shorts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something similar happened to me for the tail lights that stay on all the time, under the dash look for the brake pedal switch is suppose to have plastic stop but it gets brittle and breaks y put a piece off plastic in it and hold it with electrical tape

1 - 4 of 4 Posts