Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just bought a new set of rims with tires. 18x8 all around. now when i take corners with them, there is an extremely loud noise as if i am about to lose traction. with my stock potenzas, i took corners sick. what seems to be the problem? the tires?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
What tires do you have on now? Dry traction is a function of tread compound, sidewall and belt stiffness mostly and, of course air pressure. What does this noise sound like? First thing to check would be the torque on all the lug nuts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the Toyo FZ4's. 18x8 all around. front = 225, rear = 235. i have check with the lugs and some seemed loose, so that kinda fixed the problem and it doesnt make as much noise as before. DL told me these were all-season tires, so i guess our stock ones work better. with the stock ones i was able to take turns much easier with less tire screech. with these, i hear some. but thanks for the help anyways guys.

bartkat said:
What tires do you have on now? Dry traction is a function of tread compound, sidewall and belt stiffness mostly and, of course air pressure. What does this noise sound like? First thing to check would be the torque on all the lug nuts.

i bought them used with 5K miles on them.

firefox said:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also found this interesting in the tire tech information article.

""low tread depth tires respond quicker." Don’t be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before"

and once i took my stock potenzas off, they were almost bald. i guess i just have to wait for my new ones to kick in.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
People that race on stock type tires used to shave them.

You can also get a better ride by truing up tires, cutting off some tread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts