Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I thought my first post would have something along the lines of "check out my new wheels" or "how much if a drop should I do on my IS250. Well, it is none of the above. I bought my IS in Atlanta and drove it back to Canada only to find out that it cannot be aligned (I drove all the way home without any pulling, darting or abnormal tire wear) Due to the fact that it was in an accident and is bent somewhere in the drivers side suspension. The shop that did the inspection/wheel alignment said that any other brand (Chev, ford. dodge) Could be easily aligned at its current specs but that companies like lexus, bmw, infiniti, etc leave no room for anything to be out of spec due to lack of clearance. So now I have to start looking for parts and I will start with a lower control arm and cross member/engine cradle. I need to know what is different with the 09? Most sites say that lower control arms fit 06-08 and there are plenty of used 06-08 arms out there but not many 09'. was there a major suspension change in 09 or am I just looking at a different brake line clip or something like that? Also, where online do you guys get your OEM lexus parts when you have too? I always got my G35 and MDX parts from sites that sold OEM parts for ALOT cheaper and I see there are a few Lexus sites out there. Just wondering who was best. thank you!

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
What is out on the Alignment and by how much? You could have a lame shop that doesnt know what theyre talking about just running their mouth. Post your before and after alignment specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is out on the Alignment and by how much? You could have a lame shop that doesnt know what theyre talking about just running their mouth. Post your before and after alignment specs.
there are no alignment specs. they told me it could not be aligned and that was the end of it, I took it home before they started charging me. I will take some pictures of things he told me that were "too close" I am assuming he has never worked on an IS before so it may be true that he has no idea what "too close" is but it was a little different from one side to the other. he showed me that the drivers side wheel was about 3/8" back further than the passenger so something is out.

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
The car may not have been in an accident, it merely could have been a bad pot hole.

It may be in your best interest to take it to the local Lexus dealer (as they know the car inside and out and see them every day) and pay them for an alignment/suspension inspection. They will be able to tell you what exactly is wrong and if it can be corrected. It could be something as simple as shifting the subframe a little bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car may not have been in an accident, it merely could have been a bad pot hole.

It may be in your best interest to take it to the local Lexus dealer (as they know the car inside and out and see them every day) and pay them for an alignment/suspension inspection. They will be able to tell you what exactly is wrong and if it can be corrected. It could be something as simple as shifting the subframe a little bit.
What exactly are you trying to tell me? I was asking about the differences on the 09 from previous years so I know if I can source parts from an 06-08 or not and where most of you get your OEM parts. my story on how I got to this point was merely for entertainment only. I already know what is wrong with the car, I saw it with my own eyes while it was on the hoist, why would I pay another shop to tell me the same thing? where did I mention that I wanted to know what was wrong with the car? The "surprise" was the fact that it could not be aligned, not the fact that it was in an accident. I was well aware that it was in an accident, not a pothole and the the price I paid was discounted accordingly. I am going to replace the engine cradle/ crossmember and go from there. I had that much figured before I posted, my original question was not what caused the damage, How smart the mechanic was that worked on the car, or how I was going to fix it but thanks anyways!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts