Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be upgrading to 18's soon and would like to hear your experiences with any of these tires. From feel and quiteness of tire, to performance during hot and rainy conditions. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

·
1,621 Posts
Well the only tire that I have experienced on your list is the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2's. Currently have them in sizes 235/35/19 and 265/30/19.

Overall I'm very happy with them. Very grippy tires and a somewhat smooth ride. Only negitive part that I can think of is the road noise due to the aggressive tread pattern.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
+1 for the KDWs... great all around tire. A little noisy, but to me it makes up for it with grip and treadwear. No experience with those Yokos, but I have various other models of Yokohama tires on my other cars, and have no complaints.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great feed back. What about toyo proxes? Anyone out here currently running Toyo tires?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
the best street tires, RE01R!
you cant go wrong with RE01R!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
i've ran the toyo's proxes 4 , the bfg's kdw 2s and the advan avs sport ... so i'm a big fan of the toyo's and bfgs, the avs were just ok. if i had to chose, you can't go wrong with either the toyo's or bfgs- performance, grip and handling were similar but the bfg's were a bit noisier.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
parada spec 2 is the closest thing to r compounds for the street. comparable to falken azenis rt's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 for the BFGs too. I've got the same staggered 19" setup as above. Switched to these from Falken FK 451s and it is a night and day difference. These things stick like glue. Road noise hasn't been an issue for me, but before my is, I drove a 4runner with some pretty aggressive tires, so I'm used to noisey tires. You have a volume knob on the radio.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
i've got the kdw 2s as well... in 18"s thou, 225-40 all around and personally for me the noise isn't an issue. i got them from costco over a year ago and its still good to go.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I am running the BFG's KDW 2 on the rear great tires but yea a bit noisy.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i had the kdw2's and right now i have the sumitumo htr zIII. my findings could be based on the sizing of the tires. kdw2's were 225/45 but my zIII are 245/40. the lateral grip of the zIII are above the kdw2's. sidewall on the zIII is softer thus the road noise (very little) is nothing compared to the kdw2's. they are just as good in the wet as the kdw2's (to me summer tires do better in wet vs all-season) i am really satisfied w/ going with the zIII's. ive only put 3K miles on them so far; so the only thing that is uncertain is the tread wear. i just hope i can get+35K out of the sumitumo's like i did w/ the kdw2's.

re01r... too much for my blood (for a street tire).
i may try the comparable (and has been reviewed higher than the re01r) dunlop direzza sport z1 but for a track set of tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i had the kdw2's and right now i have the sumitumo htr zIII. my findings could be based on the sizing of the tires. kdw2's were 225/45 but my zIII are 245/40. the lateral grip of the zIII are above the kdw2's. sidewall on the zIII is softer thus the road noise (very little) is nothing compared to the kdw2's. they are just as good in the wet as the kdw2's (to me summer tires do better in wet vs all-season) i am really satisfied w/ going with the zIII's. ive only put 3K miles on them so far; so the only thing that is uncertain is the tread wear. i just hope i can get+35K out of the sumitumo's like i did w/ the kdw2's.

re01r... too much for my blood (for a street tire).
i may try the comparable (and has been reviewed higher than the re01r) dunlop direzza sport z1 but for a track set of tires.

Could you comment further on the ZIII's? I'm looking at these now instead of the general exclaim for my primary tire and weekend track tire. Probably won't get as many miles because the different wear rating but this may be more capable at the few events I go to.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would go with the KDW 2's
I have the 285 30 18 on my rear 245 35 18 on the front.
Very good in the rain and the dry even at my power levels.

Excellent tread wear. I didnt find them terribly noisey at all.

I have had the Toyos T1s, T1R's, KUhmo710, and the BFG's blew them all away. T1Rs were good in the rain when they had full tread but since they were R compound they wore down quick.

The only downside ot the BFG was $$$$$.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the is300 SX and in summer I run the KDW2. They are noisier than the Blizzak Revo I run in the winter, and noisier the than the crappy factory Potenzas. Treadwear is great and they stick like glue when dry. Wet is traction is not the greatest during downpours (hydroplaning on the highway) LOL. :bigSmile:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts