Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tested the 2002 auto and 5-speed....

The auto definitely rides better, actually a little bit quieter, and steering is more solid. Overall, the car feels more refined. To sum up: the 2001's feel more Toyota; the 2002's feel more like a Lexus (or a higher end Toyota for that matter)

The 5-speed: clutch pedal felt weird, but got used to it after 5 minutes. The shifter is definitely quite 'notchy'.....not as smooth as the Honda shifters.

The one thing I didn't like is that everytime you wanted to start the car from dead stop and put it in 1st gear (or any gear for that matter), there's a muffled but noticable 'THUD' transmitting from the transmission. However, if the clutch is depressed for at least a few seconds before shifting into 1st gear (or any gear) that 'THUD' disappears. My suspicion is that the 'THUD' is the result of stopping a certain gear from spinning. Quite annoying though........

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't see much difference between an 01 and 02. That is probably just me though. I've never been a toyota person before. I've always been a Honda man. The IS has me by the nose right now though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe the difference you felt is because the 2002 was brand new and the 2001 you drove is, well, a 2001. I think many people can vouch for me when I say that everyone's 2001 felt more like a Lexus when they first got it
and now it feels "more toyota??".

·
Registered
226 Posts
--------------------

2001 Black Onyx IS300
Stock and loving it.
2001 Glacier White CLK55 AMG
19" BRABUS Monoblock VI
Brabus tuned suspension

nice cars.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
The smoothness of the new auto compared to the 2001 auto is probably just in ur head.. I find that kinda hard to believe

I dont think the 02 IS is any more or less a Lexus than the 01 models??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by dude:
To sum up: the 2001's feel more Toyota; the 2002's feel more like a Lexus (or a higher end Toyota for that matter)
Toyota my ass. A "feeling" comparison between a brand new car verus a used (maybe abused) car? You might as well say the '02 Lexus IS300 feels more solid than a '99 BMW 325i.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts