Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm thinking of scrapping the idea of going with a sub in the trunk for few reasons.

So, if I get some higher-end 6x9 will the give better bass than stock setup?

The idea is now:

6.5 components in the front - Alpine SPX-17REF ? big crossovers:(!
6x9 in the rear - ? best bass ?
4ch amp - Alpine PDX-4.100 small and 4x100RMS

This would make it nice and clean without loosing any trunk space, I want more bass than stock though, possible?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
OK, so I'm thinking of scrapping the idea of going with a sub in the trunk for few reasons.

So, if I get some higher-end 6x9 will the give better bass than stock setup?

The idea is now:

6.5 components in the front - Alpine SPX-17REF ? big crossovers:(!
6x9 in the rear - ? best bass ?
4ch amp - Alpine PDX-4.100 small and 4x100RMS

This would make it nice and clean without loosing any trunk space, I want more bass than stock though, possible?
I think you could get more bass than stock but eventually you will get greedy and want a sub. I speak from experience. 6x9's off 100RMS will have some punch to them though. It might be worth a shot if you think you will be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
so what would be the best choice for a good 6x9 in the rear? sorry to thread jack, im actually wanting the same thin in my car aswell.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
If you are going to run an amp to them there might be a few good options that might satisfy the urge. Tang Band makes some 6x9 subs that you can just mount in the stock locations. Those with 100RMS on them would hit pretty well I would guess.
Parts Express:Tang Band W69-1436 6"x9" Neo Subwoofer
or maybe...Parts Express:Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

I would guess the Neo motor ones would be best because they are not as deep and should clear the trunk bars ok. I don't know what it would be like mounting them though since I've never tried them out.

The second ones (W69) I listed are cheaper ($25), have a lower free air resonance (35hz), and are more efficient(87db). The only thing is they may not fit...either of them. But for $50 a pair they would rock out. The W69's are 8 ohm though so you would need to bridge the rear two channels of your amp and then run the woofers in parallel.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm it may be less work to make a small 8" sub enclosure that fits nicely behind the tail light than to replace the rear 6x9

8" DD1508 requires less than 1cu ft enclosure, I may go this route, I would guess the bass would be nicer from this single sub than from 6x9s in the rear deck.

I wonder if it would be worth getting a really small 2 channel amp and power one part of the stock 6x9 from it. What exactly is on top of the woofer, a midrange or a tweeter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts