Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an IS yet, but am looking to purchase one. Just wondering if there are subtle differences between the different model years. Looking at 2002-2004. Also, what are the best options? Automatic or manual? Skid Control?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
depeds on what you are looking for. If you are looking to keep it stock, id say get a auto. Boost, get a 5spd. the luxury package is nice, mine came with perforated leather seats, which was quite nice. Maybe try and find one with navigation. Other than that, i dont think there really is much of a difference between the years, except subtle ones. Different bulbs are used in the 04+ compared to the previous. Headlight construction is a bit different, but in the end looks all the same.

Yea, pretty much any year will do. The less miles, the better. Though, it is a toyota, so it will pretty much last you a lifetime almost.

Reactions: MSMIS3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably would not want to boost it, but would want to make some minor mods such as headers, exhaust, intake.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
then the automatic would be fine, unless you are used to the standard. I drive a 5spd everyday, rushour traffic, and it doesnt bother me. Some people, it does. Its all up to you pretty much, and what your preferences are.

Also, welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Welcome aboard, enjoy surfing the site :) and good luck hunting for your IS. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
def what gray rider said.

try to shy away from the 01's though.

(the hassle if getting the dealership to upgrade ECU and TRAC button.)

other than that, they are pretty much the same throughout the years.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
^^^ Peter, I have an 01....knock on wood never had problems with the ECU and Trac, plus no problem with cd. Got it in late 01 and I had our master tech check it out and was told that the upgrade were already done at the factory. ;)

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
petaa7 said:
def what gray rider said.

try to shy away from the 01's though.

(the hassle if getting the dealership to upgrade ECU and TRAC button.)
that's a load. the upgrade was so minor and took 2minutes. it was barely even noticable. please talk about things you have personal experience with and leave alone those you do not.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Seven said:
depeds on what you are looking for. If you are looking to keep it stock, id say get a auto. Boost, get a 5spd. the luxury package is nice, mine came with perforated leather seats, which was quite nice. Maybe try and find one with navigation. Other than that, i dont think there really is much of a difference between the years, except subtle ones. Different bulbs are used in the 04+ compared to the previous. Headlight construction is a bit different, but in the end looks all the same.

Yea, pretty much any year will do. The less miles, the better. Though, it is a toyota, so it will pretty much last you a lifetime almost.
it is my understanding, from reading the many threads over at the "go faster forum", that the auto tranny is stronger than the 5 speed manual. if you plan on swapping out your trans to a six speed manual tranny, then it should not matter if the car came in auto or manual tranny.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Seven said:
If you're going to keep it stock, get a 5spd.
Auto for boost. The 5spd doesn't like boost.

Headlight construction is the same in all years. The 02+ have a clip that holds the adjustment screws in place. that's the only difference in design. Other than that, the housing color vary but they're all reflective chrome based.

01 rods are thicker than 02+ so boosting an 01 car is a tad safer.

Other than that, it makes no difference which year you buy.
There aren't any blaring issues or differences between model years.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
IS_Dude said:
that's a load. the upgrade was so minor and took 2minutes. it was barely even noticable. please talk about things you have personal experience with and leave alone those you do not.
i bought my is last year and i had trouble gettin the dealership to do me the upgrade.

isn't what i said before a "personal experience?"

the upgrade took 2 minutes yes, but if he is buying an 01 right now, the miles on his car will be pretty high, over the upgrade warranty, so it would be harder to find someone to do it unless someone would pay "a load" to have them do it.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
petaa7 said:
i bought my is last year and i had trouble gettin the dealership to do me the upgrade.

isn't what i said before a "personal experience?"

the upgrade took 2 minutes yes, but if he is buying an 01 right now, the miles on his car will be pretty high, over the upgrade warranty, so it would be harder to find someone to do it unless someone would pay "a load" to have them do it.
the trac update did next to nothing, so you made something out of nothing IMO.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
IS_Dude said:
the trac update did next to nothing, so you made something out of nothing IMO.
my ecu update did more than nothing...

i think more people then none encountered the ecu problem like i did. you and gray rider were one of the few who didn't have this problem.

so IMO...you got lucky that the lag in your ecu didn't affect you. for others it did.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
petaa7 said:
my ecu update did more than nothing...

i think more people then none encountered the ecu problem like i did. you and gray rider were one of the few who didn't have this problem.

so IMO...you got lucky that the lag in your ecu didn't affect you. for others it did.
Your point is moot.

There's a good probabilty that most '01's already have the TSB's applied. If one goes ahead and purchases a car without asking questions about the cars history, then it's the buyer negligence and fault.

And if the seller was a frequent service customer at a lexus dealership, it wouldn't hurt to continue the service at the dealership piggy backing the good business the seller has already fortified.

·
Registered
661 Posts
CRB said:
At some point Lexus stopped making manuals with the LSD, so that is something to consider.
I think the LSD was only offered as an option for Eshift automatic IS300's.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
crontab said:
Your point is moot.

There's a good probabilty that most '01's already have the TSB's applied. If one goes ahead and purchases a car without asking questions about the cars history, then it's the buyer negligence and fault.
And if the seller was a frequent service customer at a lexus dealership, it wouldn't hurt to continue the service at the dealership piggy backing the good business the seller has already fortified.
are you serious?

so are you saying that before you purchased your car or anything for that matter, you asked about its history?..did you ask them if it had any kind of recalls or anything?

doubt it.

as far as im concerned, lexus tried to hide the fact they they needed to do an upgrade for their 01 is's.

all im saying is that, the cheaper IS's are the older ones. closer to the 01 range. if he intends on buying one, he might run into the problem of the ecu problem, which i had run into.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts