Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best car tint out there? I just want something that wont fade or change color. Favorite brands and websites are appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got 3M on my car (35% all around). Held up well all winter. I wouldn't recommend crappy cheap Ebay stuff, have not heard good stuff about it. I got mine professionally installed so I hope to not see problems in the near future :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you want the best of the best I would recommend Huper Optik tint. It's a ceramic tint from Germany and it rejects up to 95% of the sun's heat. Also its solar adaptive so it changes opacity depending on how much light there is. The only downside is that it is VERY expensive, I got quoted $900 for my IS300.

A cheaper alternative is FormulaOne tint, its still a premium tint so it won't bubble, fade, or change colors like cheap tint. Prices start from $180 for the classic series to $425 for the pinnacle series.

Here's the thing with window tint, if the shop installing it doesn't offer a lifetime warranty then the tint WILL purple, fade, or bubble up. Shops that offer a lifetime warranty on their tints do this because they're confident that the premium tint won't fade, purple, or bubble up. I can't say the same for those cheap $100 tint places that use cheap generic dyed tint.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Being that I manage a shop that applies tint everyday, I have learned a few things.

First, it matters more the shop who's doing it in regards to how it's initially going to come out.

Second, brand. I have 3M color-stable on my car. We also use 3M Crystalline and Viper pure films. I like the 3M, clarity is nice. 50% on my whole windshield and I see just fine in all conditions. However, 3M is overrated. The tinters all prefer Viper film, and for the price difference I do as well.

Third, warranty is subjective. Back in the early 2000's our shop offered a lifetime warranty on film that every once in a bluemoon I have customers bringing back to us 10 years later because it's started to fade, peel, change color, etc...

If you don't care about price and darkness Crystalline is great, blocks a lot of heat. I would price our car at around $600 in my market. Color-Stable $250-300. Viper pure (also lifetime warranty, won't change or nothin) $150-200.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Being that I manage a shop that applies tint everyday, I have learned a few things.

First, it matters more the shop who's doing it in regards to how it's initially going to come out.

Second, brand. I have 3M color-stable on my car. We also use 3M Crystalline and Viper pure films. I like the 3M, clarity is nice. 50% on my whole windshield and I see just fine in all conditions. However, 3M is overrated. The tinters all prefer Viper film, and for the price difference I do as well.

Third, warranty is subjective. Back in the early 2000's our shop offered a lifetime warranty on film that every once in a bluemoon I have customers bringing back to us 10 years later because it's started to fade, peel, change color, etc...

If you don't care about price and darkness Crystalline is great, blocks a lot of heat. I would price our car at around $600 in my market. Color-Stable $250-300. Viper pure (also lifetime warranty, won't change or nothin) $150-200.
I have had my tint on for over 8yrs now. Its 20% on the sides and %5 on the back. I did notice that the very back window is fading a bit of purplish through my rear view mirror. Its not really noticeable, but i can tell. Other than that, the tint has held up very well and i believe its 3m

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have used formula one pinnacle on my last 3 cars that were tinted and never had a single issue. Needs to go on right but done properly looks great.

·
Registered
52 Posts

^
Pretty much nailed it.

I'd look into heat rejection as well... I wasn't really a believer until I had some ceramic film installed in one of my cars and it was unbelievable how much heat was being rejected. It's actually become a requirement for me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
^
Pretty much nailed it.

I'd look into heat rejection as well... I wasn't really a believer until I had some ceramic film installed in one of my cars and it was unbelievable how much heat was being rejected. It's actually become a requirement for me.
Can't remember what brand I got but it was 20% all around and has held up fine for nearly 4 years, will try to find my receipts and update post. Cost was ~$300 installed. I fully agree on the heat rejection stuff too! Had the same shop do the windshield with a 90% film with a high heat rejection (in the middle of summer) and it made a huge difference! Much cooler car, and it gives it a nice luxurious appeal at night because the windshield mirrors the light.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I got 3M Crystalline on my front windshield and 3M Color Stable for the rest of the windows. I was told that because of what the tints are made of, it will not turn purple. Definitely love it as it reduces heat dramatically especially during the hotter seasons in LA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am Francisco from Georgia. I have recently tinted my car with 3M at 30% with the help of thetintguy.com. 3M Automotive Window Films Improve comfort, help to protect vehicle interiors and block UV rays.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
PaulKrammer
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing