Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way, i have a bumper to play around with but want to sand the silver and clear coat off. Then ill work from there, but want to see if the bumper will look ok, before i have it shot...

Can anyone give some feedback?

Its a stock bumper.

David

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hyper said:
Use M3 1000 sand paper with water. You dont need to take it all the way down, just so there is no gloss left on the clear. The paint will stick just fine.
Umm No.

1000 will take you a month to cut that down. You need to use a 400grit paper and cut thru the clear coat to the basecoat. once you hit basecoat (color) just get it smooth. if you try to paint or repaint ur bumper and spray color on the clear coat... you will wrinkle the finish. (it will look like microwaved saranwrap!!) You must either:

A - cut ALL of the clear coat off to repaint the base color OR
B- sand (dull) the clear (not cut it off) to just reclear the bumper if you not changing the color of the bumper.

once you cut all of the clear coat off with the 400 grit. use the 1000 watersand on the entire bumper. then you should be good for a degrease and prime.

Good Luck.
Rich

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bumper has tons of chips in it, i want to cut through all of that, and paint it crystal white from its color of silver.......

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
is300soon said:
the bumper has tons of chips in it, i want to cut through all of that, and paint it crystal white from its color of silver.......
400 grit the entire bumper down to black then..... then use "filler primer" its also called "yellow primer" to smooth out the finish of the bumper and then lightly water sand that finish with a 1500wetsand before degrease and paint! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts