Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did search... nothing about 'RE'-painting my calipers...

I already have my stock calipers painted red with high-temp paint and I did them about 1.5 years ago. I put a coat of primer on them and put several coats of the high temp spray paint on there and then I applied the famous Flatline 3MM Caliper decals.

Well now its starting to chip off in places on all four calipers...

How do I re-paint them?

I'm keeping them the same color and I ordered new decals from Flatline, but I want them looking New again?

Do I buy some paint removal stuff and just re-prime and paint them? Or do I have to friggin' sand them down so that the new paint and primer adhere's properly? (the latter of which I'm obviously trying to avoid :roll: I'm hoping I can just use a paint remover and then re-do them)

Your input would be much appreciated!! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
just sand it down w/ sandpaper till its smooth, then primer, then paint, then clear and put the stickers back on...

the thing is...it will ALWAYS chip unless u get it powdercoated...

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
MrMark said:
Believe it or not, I've re-painted the calipers on both my cars with ordinary Krylon in the can (brush on) and it works great.
i painted mine with that method the first time around, didnt primer or clear coat, but am planning on touching up the chips in the same manner.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
lilaznboi said:
just sand it down w/ sandpaper till its smooth, then primer, then paint, then clear and put the stickers back on...

powdercoat can chip too...

fyi brake cleaner will also melt the paint away...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
irv_usc said:
lilaznboi said:

powdercoat can chip too...

fyi brake cleaner will also melt the paint away...
ya that's true...but it's definately a lot stronger than normal spray paint if u know what i mean...and lasts longer with the weather elements...people powdercoat wheels instead of spray paint them right? hehe :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
if u sand it down it should work... but also u should just powdercoat its about 200 bux and it will LAST WAY LONGER!! then just painting, and re-painting....

also, u could try paint thinner and then sanding , and then repainting if u dont want to powdercoat

hope this helps :chill:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts