Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that 3M double sided adhesive was one of the best ways to install the spoiler. However, i'm not really sure if that is strong enough? Are there anything else out there that might work, like some strong glue or something. Anything will help guyz..thanks!
 

·
Nygmatic
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
Re: Best way to put on an "ugo" roof spoiler???!!!

bRibRi said:
I was told that 3M double sided adhesive was one of the best ways to install the spoiler. However, i'm not really sure if that is strong enough? Are there anything else out there that might work, like some strong glue or something. Anything will help guyz..thanks!

use 3m doublesided FOAM tape, heavy duty. you can find it at your local hardware store. just ask for 3m foam tape, should be in the painter's aisle, next to all the tapes.

it works fine for me. i messed up once and needed to reapply. its a real bitch to take off once its on there. a good note howerver is to heatup the spoiler before applying the tape, then heating up the area to be applied. the extra heat will help the binding process as the replica ugo's are not curved enough and will bend straight if not applied correctly.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,334 Posts
if you dont think you will need to take it off, or if youre going to put it on the window instead of the pianted sheetmetal, you could epoxy it to your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Re: Best way to put on an "ugo" roof spoiler???!!!

Frydryce said:
bRibRi said:
I was told that 3M double sided adhesive was one of the best ways to install the spoiler. However, i'm not really sure if that is strong enough? Are there anything else out there that might work, like some strong glue or something. Anything will help guyz..thanks!

use 3m doublesided FOAM tape, heavy duty. you can find it at your local hardware store. just ask for 3m foam tape, should be in the painter's aisle, next to all the tapes.

it works fine for me. i messed up once and needed to reapply. its a real bitch to take off once its on there. a good note howerver is to heatup the spoiler before applying the tape, then heating up the area to be applied. the extra heat will help the binding process as the replica ugo's are not curved enough and will bend straight if not applied correctly.
also, don't forget to clean the surface really well
remove wax and clean the area with alcohol wipes, etc.
3M tape worked fine for mine
just take your time to line it up well - 2nd person would help
have fun..!
 

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
Joined
·
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for everything guyz...everything really helped. I thought i was gonna get flamed or something..
 

·
Nygmatic
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
bRibRi said:
would expoxy glue work though? would i be able to use both 3M tape and epoxy?
no! dont use epoxy, it will ruin your paint. the 3m is more than enough to hold the spoiler onto your vehicle
 

·
Nygmatic
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
edgy said:
ANY pics of one mounted on the GLASS!!!......?????


anyone.....????
hey ed, i dont think it would work with the curvature of the glass. i thought about it when i got it, but opted against it as there was too much of a gap between the spoiler and the glass. i found out that the spoiler itself is pretty flat item, its almost too flat to fit on the roof, you need to stress it a little to get it to curve to the roof. =T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,763 Posts
bRibRi said:
would expoxy glue work though? would i be able to use both 3M tape and epoxy?
I have my RMM rear lip spoiler epoxied onto my trunk and it's not coming loose any time soon! The shop that did it said that if I ever wanted it taken off, I would have to take it back to them so they can use a special chemical to take off the glue. It's that strong!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top