Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 5 speed. Anyone know what's the best way to get one moving off of a stoplight?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ya, dudes, I get my IS on Tuesday, I'm not the best stick driver cause maybe I never drove a stick so suggestions would be nice on how to launch a 5 speed.

Hey Badman,
Wanna meet up sometime over the next two weeks on westheimer and some S2000 folks.

JRaccord

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm not a great stick driver myself. So I wouldn't be any help.
Sure, we can meet any fri/sat these next few weekends. I hope it doesn't rain again!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i tried slipping my clutch, double clutching and side stepping it, my best 60 foot came from side stepping it at about 4500 rpms.

once my turbo goes on, i will have to slip it, as the low end torque won't be as readily available, but you all n/a guys can side step her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by lexluger:
Yeah what exactly is side stepping????

To launch a manual trasmission car: Put car in first gear and hold down clutch. Rev engine to desired speed. Take foot of clutch so as clutch engages immediatally (for some cars, you may need to ease off, but not for most lower powered cars) Basically, it is as simple as it sounds, you just move your foot off the cluch so that the clutch engages, usually moving off to the side because it is faster.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
yes, they could be considered the same thing.

Originally posted by Spoiler:
I guess it's also referred to as "dumping" the clutch.

Spoiler

·
Registered
39 Posts
Becareful cause in and bit of rain side stepping will keep you standing still. Also when you get that turbo you won't be able to sidestep it.. well actually depends on how your turbo is set up I guess.. Honestly I think slipping the clutch is the best controlled way. find the sweet spot where you can have the clutch partly out and be giving it some gas. this will take less time to engage and cause less tire slip...

·
Registered
551 Posts
So basically a side step is when you just put the clutch to the floor and slide your foot off and just let the clutch spring back up on its own?? That sounds almost too eazy

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
only a fool, or someone very inexperienced would side step a clutch in the rain, and when the ass end slid into something, they wouldn't do that again.

as for the turbo, i am used to launching my 550rwhp supra, so i know to slip it, and it shouldn't be too long before i get that down, atleast after a couple of track sessions i guess. other than that, i have a few drivetrain ideas/tricks that might help also if it becomes a real problem.

Originally posted by grey_is300:
Becareful cause in and bit of rain side stepping will keep you standing still. Also when you get that turbo you won't be able to sidestep it.. well actually depends on how your turbo is set up I guess.. Honestly I think slipping the clutch is the best controlled way. find the sweet spot where you can have the clutch partly out and be giving it some gas. this will take less time to engage and cause less tire slip...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah i have 204 whp and 208 rwtrq. I dumped my clutch at about 3000 rpms .....racing an R32 off the line.....and i just sat there spinning my tires like a complete rube. It was loud tho...thats for sure :crazy: But i felt like a jackass, so for all you guys talking about spankin it from 4-5000rpms off the line are smokin something.....i found through experience that all you want off the line is a few chirps from the tires...THEN you have a good launch going. Which for a heavily modded NA IS is like 2000k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts