Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leafblower?
Anyone used a leafblower? What kind? Any other tips to get the water out of the mirrors after washing the car?

Water Spots Removal
I seem to always have water spots coming straight down from the side mirrors and now the water stains seem to be set. I tried clay bar but it did not help. Is buffing the next step to remove water spots?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've tried every way you could imagine, but hands down the leaf blower is the best. it's the only way I have found to get the water out from the mirrors, lights, grill, where the bumper meets the trunk lid, etc.

I bought a weed eater brand electric one at wal-mart for $30, and it works great. Start at the top of the car and work down.

I get the big puddles off the roof, windows, and hood with a california water blade, then hit it with the leaf blower, and finish up with a microfiber and and quick detail spray. No drips, spots, or scratches and it only takes me about 5 minutes.

I'd be afraid of oil spattering off a gas blower, and compressed air usually has some oil in it, so stick to an electric blower.

Of course if you're operating it in a wet driveway, be sure to use a good grounded, waterproof extension cord plugged into a GFI OUTLET.

This guy sells really good microfibers at a great price. http://pakshak.com/

Tell him you are an Autopia member and he'll give you a discount. Free shipping too. Get five 24x24's for about $35 shipped.

They sell cheaper microfibers at walmart, target, costco, but they usually have polyester stitching that will scratch your car, so watch out for the cheap imitations.

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
i stick a straw in the under belly of the mirror and then have the little neighbor bastard come suck the water up!

i give him .25 cents

David

·
Registered
708 Posts
How about a can of aerosal air used to clean computers and such. Put the spray tube on and it gets in small places.......You can purchase at any computer store.....

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
is300soon said:
i stick a straw in the under belly of the mirror and then have the little neighbor bastard come suck the water up!

i give him .25 cents

David
:lol:
How bout this thread is ridiculous.. Inquiring about getting water out? Water spots? wow.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
scottschoe said:
drive the car around the block and most of the water (if not all) should come pouring down the doors
I almost always do this too... This also gets your wheels dry...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
III 4U2NV III said:
scottschoe said:
drive the car around the block and most of the water (if not all) should come pouring down the doors
I almost always do this too... This also gets your wheels dry...
But then dirt sticks to your car, and then you rubg the dirt into your paint when you wax it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is what I do:

1) Wash the car with the mirrors folded in
2) After the wash fold em back out and immediately hop on the freeway and "blow the jams out"... usually at 80+ mph
3) When I get back I whip out this stuff called "Final Inspection" and spray the inevitable water spots that drip from the mirror area and rub em out...

I have a black car so believe me, I am a master at keepin her clean (you kinda have to be with black).

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
ATLDave said:
I've tried every way you could imagine, but hands down the leaf blower is the best. it's the only way I have found to get the water out from the mirrors, lights, grill, where the bumper meets the trunk lid, etc.

I bought a weed eater brand electric one at wal-mart for $30, and it works great. Start at the top of the car and work down.

I get the big puddles off the roof, windows, and hood with a california water blade, then hit it with the leaf blower, and finish up with a microfiber and and quick detail spray. No drips, spots, or scratches and it only takes me about 5 minutes.

I'd be afraid of oil spattering off a gas blower, and compressed air usually has some oil in it, so stick to an electric blower.

Of course if you're operating it in a wet driveway, be sure to use a good grounded, waterproof extension cord plugged into a GFI OUTLET.

This guy sells really good microfibers at a great price. http://pakshak.com/

Tell him you are an Autopia member and he'll give you a discount. Free shipping too. Get five 24x24's for about $35 shipped.

They sell cheaper microfibers at walmart, target, costco, but they usually have polyester stitching that will scratch your car, so watch out for the cheap imitations.
never heard of a leafblower, but it sure sounds good!!! however, do they have a portable electric one cuz that will be even better. also, how much blowing power does it need to do the job???

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Put plastic grocery bags over your mirrors before you wash the car. Seal them with ordinary rubber bands. When done washing your car, lightly soap the outside of your mirrors and wipe them dry and the rest of your car. done deal. i've posted this before.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!

Except for a few morons responding, all ideas are great. A friend of mine has a leafblower for his RX and I used it a few times when I was taking care of my old BMW but never really paid too much attention to car detailing.

Now that I got zaino (4 coats a month ago), all looks great except for the water leaking straight down the mirror after every wash leaving a water spot trail.

My biggest mistake was not to zaino the car as soon as I got it. Instead I waited a few months and now I got some water stains left, but it isn't that bad. I think I will get the leafblower. I use Z6 after every wash (every two weeks) even on all windows and lenses and when it rains I don't even have to use the wipers on the highway. It works much better than rainx.

I'm a true believer in zaino stuff. Especially that Z6. Water is beading off the car for the full two weeks between the washes. It looks great in rain.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like thedon's idea. I'll have to try that next time. I've used compressed air thinking it was all out. NOPE...there's always some water left in that bastard mirror. So grocery bag it is...it better work!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.