Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 04 IS and it's my first time driving with this type of tranny. So what's the best way to adjust the gas when I'm upshifting during spirited driving? For example, if I'm gunning it at redline and I wanna upshift, do I a) lift off the gas b) keep the same rpms or c) gun it harder if needed?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just bought a 04 IS and it's my first time driving with this type of tranny. So what's the best way to adjust the gas when I'm upshifting during spirited driving? For example, if I'm gunning it at redline and I wanna upshift, do I a) lift off the gas b) keep the same rpms or c) gun it harder if needed?

you dont take your foot off the gas when youre shifting.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
you dont take your foot off the gas when youre shifting.
Correct. Just drive it like your driving an auto except shift. Dont worry it wont dramatically increce RPM's and blow your engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ive also heard using the shifter to go L 2 3 could be faster.....anyone ever try this?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
allowing the transmission shift by itself is the fastest way.

The E-shift is there for choosing your gear, better suited for say a road-course.

By 'gateshifting' or even using e-shift, you're just adding an extra step.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got my is....some driving experience, but dont know what to do with the e shift....is it supposed to start in 5 then work my way down when im going faster...or ??

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
leaving it in 5 means your car will shift itself until 5th. Bringing it down to 4 means it will only shift into 4th gear and stay in that gear until you click up and shift to 5th. Bringing it down to 3 means it will only shift until 3rd gear and so on and so forth..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I like to use e-shift to keep me in the appropriate gear for my speed. That way, I can jump on it and already be in the right gear to take off...not have to wait for the car to slow down, downshift, then slowly speed up.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
I like to use e-shift to keep me in the appropriate gear for my speed. That way, I can jump on it and already be in the right gear to take off...not have to wait for the car to slow down, downshift, then slowly speed up.
You must not care about gas prices. staying in that shift will keep your RPM's higher, therefore using more gas.

I wish I didnt care about gas prices :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info. man, this is the first time i came back to check on this thing. too busy...

·
Registered
532 Posts
here is a little reminder the e-shift only goes down into 2nd the car will shit 1st to second for you so let it do that when you take off then shift from 2nd to 3rd...

·
Registered
68 Posts
my favorite way to use e-shift is to leave it in drive with ECT PWR on and TRAC OFF. if all you want is pure acceleration from a stop just let the computer do it.

only good thing about M mode; you can tap the down button to kill some speed if you see a police car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mine sometimes "bucks" from 2nd to 3rd only in e shift the tranny has about 115xxx on it and i did a service at 90xxx think it could be going?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts