Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I've done some searching, and a bit of research..

But i'm trying to figure out what's the best place to start for my suspension.. Are the Expensive suspensions really worth the money? i.e. tein and apexi'.

and is one brand any better than the other regarding strut/sway bars.

I really wanna get this thing to handle like nothing else, with out spending what i spend on the car.

I'm thinkin tokico illumina's with s-tech's to start?

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I think the Tokico/Stech setup will be good unless you plan on any serious autoX.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If i were low on cash and wanted a good setup i'd get the hotchkis springs and sways.

Otherwise, get a set of tein flex coilovers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i wanna to be able to carve some curves on the streets. no autox, no drag, just carve the nice windy roads.

I take a crazy ass windy scenic road to see my girl at school, weekly. and i just need to make it a bit more fun. Plus everyone likese the look for a lowered car.

i guess.. i'd like to spend 500-800 bucks. i dunno. maybe more.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
H&R / Koni yellow combo is the best bang for the buck out of all the shock and spring combos out there, this will even out handle the lower end coilovers out there sf1/ tein ss/ basic plus it is within your budget. You can also adjust ride height on the konis which isnt available on any other dampener on the market. Best handling/adjustability/ and within budget:approve: can't go wrong.. happy moddin'

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
cutting springs = free.

lol..i have tein h-techs paired up with tokico illuminas, and it's a great ride, lil rougher than stock but handling is def improved. imo s-techs are a little too low for the area in which i drive.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Well Koni may be great and H&R are also awesome. But the H&R rear are even softer than the stock springs and that does not make for a great handling lowered car especially with people in it. The Koni's are more expensive and dont deliver any better than the Bilstein HDs.

For an all rounder that will handle even better especially for canyon/high speed turns may I suggest the Eibach Prokit with the Bilstein HDs. The Eibach Prokit even on stock shocks are excellent for street handling, with Bilsteins...well the awesomness factor goes waaay up. The prokit..what can I say??? even Lexus like it lol. Not to mention total cost will be $250 shipped for the Eibach Prokit and $450 shipped for the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I guess its a matter of driving styles as well but i always regarded the valving of the bilsteins to be softer than the konis, in my experience at least. I guess its a bias as well since i have always used bilsteins on my c280. But i have been up against the bistein/eibach on a road course and he kept up but didn't hang.I do agree with kponti on the H&Rs being soft in the rear but that is the way i like it, i even have my trd reds on the softest setting now. I still believe the H&R spring rate matched with the koni yellow dampening is still the best set up there and im sure a couple of netters will chime in on this but if you are just looking for a step up then eibach/bilstein is for you.

BTW kponti shouldn't you be in the go fast forum J/P ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i want a little more than "just a step up." i want to significantly improve handing with out buying coilovers, i'm also into buyin sways and tower bars if i need to..

so maybe the koni's are just what i'm lookin for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm Bringing this back from the dead, because i still haven't made a decision..

What about putting the eibach prokit on the konis yellows? then adding the eibach anti roll kit?

Does that sound promising for some solid canyon runs?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
yeah i've heard either eibach/bilstein or h&r/koni are good. I personally liked the tokico illumina shocks but am now on tein flex coilovers that i got for about half price on ebay. The coilover is a great choice IMO coz u can adj height and stiffness--with more variability than any other suspension setup.

Sways would also be good to get. You can find alot of info by searching this forum.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
inrpce said:
I'm Bringing this back from the dead, because i still haven't made a decision..

What about putting the eibach prokit on the konis yellows? then adding the eibach anti roll kit?

Does that sound promising for some solid canyon runs?
You mention you are on a budget. Have you checked the price difference between the Koni's and the Illumina's....it is a few hundred dollars if I recall.....enough for me to already be certain that when my stock shocks go I'll be getting the illuminas. I think they will be more than up to the job. The prokit are great though with the stock shocks. Just a tiny but too soft for me but not by much.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Like many others, I have the Eibach pro-kit + Illumina (F/R = 3) + L-tuned sways (sways set at medium for now) + stock tires. In my opinion, this setup is great for daily usage and even some canyon runs (usually i'd dial up the damping, i.e. make the shocks stiffer for canyon runs). Of course don't expect your car to ride on rails with this setup, however this setup does help reduce much of the understeering and body roll and dive/squat you'd experience say with stock parts. Now a lot of people have a false impression that reduced body roll translate into an awesome canyon carver, but I dont think that's necessarily the case. You can greatly reduced body roll just by simply having really hard springs and nothing else, but that's not a great twisties setup at all. I think for your taste, you should really look for something that would give you overall balance, and I personally feel that my current setup does give me overall balance with enough adjustability to change the drive dynamics of the car should I feel like doing some hard canyon runs. I feel that the one weakness in my set up right now is the tires... I've taking my car to the twisties a good number of times both when it was totally stock and when it's been modded. The difference between stock and modded is definitely noticable, but now with the new suspension setup, I feel that the car is capable of doing more but I feel that the stock tires aren't giving me the feedback and confidence to try to push the limit of the suspension. Hopefully a wider contact patch would help solve some of that problem.

You'd get a bunch of different answers as to what is the best setup for the buck, and I wish I could give you a more definite answer with real data to back it up (dropped and broke my G-Tech meter) so I was never able to get any handling G's # for reference. All I can tell you is I am very please with my current setup and most important, it didn't cost me very much to do this.

just my 2 cents, Hope this helps.

Reactions: CEB

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
If you're bringing this back from the dead, could you fix the title from "bydget" to "budget"? ;)

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
i'd get Tein H-Tech's on Tokico HP Blues on a budget which i am on. and it works wonders.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
800 buck is plenty

Tokico Illuminas + H&Rs
KONI + H&Rs
those are the best shock spring combo you can get...IMO

-Aaron

·
Registered
851 Posts
also you might consider wheel widening. you can have your current wheels custom widened for not very much 150 each at Jp Imports. redline814 did it to his car. dunno if thats applicable to what youre tryin to achieve, but thats what i am =)

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
i have TRD RACE yellow sways on with PROKITS on stock shocks right now.. i will soon have Sportlines with Koni Yellows.. i should be expecting a really stiff ride, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts