Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been feeling around the edge of the rear window / roofline weather stripping trying to determine the best way to punch through without causing damage (leaks, etc.). I am trying to install a magnetic antenna (Sirius), as the inside double-tape option craps out too often.

I removed the inside headliner enough to see where the stripping and rear window meet, and looked at the same spot from the outside. I tried a think flat file, as well as a coat hanger to see how much give there was at the spot I was pushing in at. Didn't want to tear the liner or bust the glass (if that's even possible). There wasn't much give, at least not to the point I felt safe forcing the coat hanger/file through.

Any suggestions on the best method to do this procedure? Should I heat the stripping with a blow dryer to soften it up a bit before pushing through? The hole has to be fairly large for the antenna connector to push through (or should I splice?).

EDIT: Nevermind. Decided possible damage wasn't worth it and installed under the rear trunk deck, which provided easy access to the rear seat. Now, on to removing the center console for routing the wire the remainder of the way.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I ran mine inside the trunk, then up the side of the rear window and inside the weatherstripping, then out again right behind the antenna. That way, you don't have to worry about breaking any seals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts