Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't waste your money with coilovers. springs/shocks will do the job? just look for whatever drop spring u want and pair it up with some tokico illimina's. set it at all 3 or all 4 and feels just like stock.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
IS JOE said:
Here's some spring rate info for popular coilovers that I found over at the Lexus Owner's Club forums:

(in kg/mm^2: Front/Rear)

Tein CS: 8/6
Tanabe Sustec-Pro S-O: 8/6
HKS LS+: 8/8
Ohlins PCV: 9/7
Bridgestone NPG: 9/7
Tein Flex: 10/8
HKS HiperMax II: 10/9
C-One: 12/10
Tein HA: 12/12
Apexi N1 Type V: 14/9
Zeal Function-Zi: 14/10
HKS Hipermax Pro: 16/12
Tein RA: 18/16
Tein CS are 10kg front 8kg rear. Tein Flex has the same spring rates but the shocks make it more performance oriented.

http://www.tein.com/ti/y94.html

I have the CS, they're very comfortable but if you drop it too low (past the recommended height) it will "wobble" over bumps during high speed turns. Such as onramps and whatnot. It feels like instead of the car going from front to back, it teeters from corner to corner (FR to RR). Very unsafe feeling and I would not recommend them to anyone who is more than 40% performance oriented and 60% comfort.

I want to upgrade to a coilover that's a tad stiffer. The CS is a tad "boaty" and I want something a bit more sport oriented.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tein CS are 10kg front 8kg rear. Tein Flex has the same spring rates but the shocks make it more performance oriented.

LEXUS IS300

I have the CS, they're very comfortable but if you drop it too low (past the recommended height) it will "wobble" over bumps during high speed turns. Such as onramps and whatnot. It feels like instead of the car going from front to back, it teeters from corner to corner (FR to RR). Very unsafe feeling and I would not recommend them to anyone who is more than 40% performance oriented and 60% comfort.

I want to upgrade to a coilover that's a tad stiffer. The CS is a tad "boaty" and I want something a bit more sport oriented.
Bringing this thread back from the dead!!!

What version of the Tein CS do you have Joe?!?

The first version with the anodised gold shock body, or the 2nd version with the matt black shock body and anodised gold spring perches?

From what I have researched the original CS were a tad boaty but not the 2nd version???

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead!!!

What version of the Tein CS do you have Joe?!?

The first version with the anodised gold shock body, or the 2nd version with the matt black shock body and anodised gold spring perches?

From what I have researched the original CS were a tad boaty but not the 2nd version???
the new ones with the matte black finish are cs-t's....and if the cs were 10 kgmm in the front and 8 kgmm in the back, the cs-t's are softer springs because they are 9 kgmm in front and 7 kgmm in back. since these were my first coilovers, and i was looking for a stock comfort ride, these were perfect...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm getting tired of how stiff my Tein SS dampers are, even adjusted to fully soft - truth be told, my IS will rarely see the track, and I need a nice comfortable street ride.

With the price limit at around $1300 or so, what are my options for a nice, smooth, quality coilover?

I was looking at the Tanabe S-OC II, possibly a set of Tein CS dampers ......

Ride quality is my # 1 priority here.

Thanks in advance.
tien comfort sport hands down!!!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Yenno what really pisses me off about these coils (Tein CS)?

Tein's specs were 10k F and 8k R. Couple months after I installed them, they turned out to be 8k/6k. WTF?

How can Tein just mispost specs like that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Greddy Type S and love them have them set on 7 front and rear and the ride is like factory. and you can always turn them up if you want them firmer. or down if you want them softer. all the way up is softer than stock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yenno what really pisses me off about these coils (Tein CS)?

Tein's specs were 10k F and 8k R. Couple months after I installed them, they turned out to be 8k/6k. WTF?

How can Tein just mispost specs like that?
I do know in Japan you can get the Tein CS in two different spring ratings.

Perhaps Tein USA first used the 10/8 then decided to opt for the 8/6 spring combo for the USDM market?

This is all pure speculation though! but due to the differences between the japanese roads and the US roads this would be logical!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this thread is old but is there anyone that recommends anything for drifting/daily driving? I want it to be stiff for drifting but I want to be able to adjust to soft for daily and if I have girl in the car? Anyone have any recommendations for today? I was also thinking spring and shock with any awesome suspension setup (camber arms, traction arms, toes, sways, strut bars) but also what brand should I go with suspension support if I do go with that option? Also what brand for coil overs? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck but also trying to find a balance for daily and drift.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know this thread is old but is there anyone that recommends anything for drifting/daily driving? I want it to be stiff for drifting but I want to be able to adjust to soft for daily and if I have girl in the car? Anyone have any recommendations for today? I was also thinking spring and shock with any awesome suspension setup (camber arms, traction arms, toes, sways, strut bars) but also what brand should I go with suspension support if I do go with that option? Also what brand for coil overs? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck but also trying to find a balance for daily and drift.
Saying you want to find a balance between daily and drift is like saying you want to find a balance between carnivore and vegan.

You can daily a car that you drift/race but its not going to be anywhere near the factory comfort levels unless you plan on swapping out parts between events.

The #1 thing that determines your ride quality are your spring rates. The rate determines how much give the spring has to absorb bumps. The shock/dampener is designed to help return the spring to to a normal state so it doesnt bounce all over the place.

I would recommend setting up your car for what you really want to do with it and be happy with it. If you want to drift then get the combo in a more performance oriented setup. The worst thing you can do when tuning your car is not have a clear goal. Trying to appease everyone will just lead to a car that nobody likes.

I can almost guarantee you that whatever spring rate you choose above stock, the girl will hate. She will think the car is cool and that its neat that you dorifto with it but she will still hate riding in it (unless she is a car nut herself).

·
Registered
743 Posts
My CXRacing coils feel nearly stock to me, just more "bouncy" set on 30/32. In fact, I have girls in there all of the time and have never got one complaint. They like the way it goes through turns ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Heard the Powered by MAX (PBM) coils getting very good reviews for the IS. I'm leaning towards those in the future. $1000 shipped i think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree that not every girl is going to hate it and, usually, they know you are into cars and will take that into consideration. However, that doesnt mean that the car is as comfortable (or near as) as a stock suspension (note: you are only going to notice the differences on bumps/potholes).

If you live in a well paved suburb with few road defects then a stiff suspension wont be as noticeable.

Drive once into a major city where roads are rougher and you will notice it right away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does this all mean?

Here's some spring rate info for popular coilovers that I found over at the Lexus Owner's Club forums:

(in kg/mm^2: Front/Rear)

Tein CS: 8/6
Tanabe Sustec-Pro S-O: 8/6
HKS LS+: 8/8
Ohlins PCV: 9/7
Bridgestone NPG: 9/7
Tein Flex: 10/8
HKS HiperMax II: 10/9
C-One: 12/10
Tein HA: 12/12
Apexi N1 Type V: 14/9
Zeal Function-Zi: 14/10
HKS Hipermax Pro: 16/12
Tein RA: 18/16
I'm really new to all this. I was wondering if you guys can explain what these numbers mean in terms of ride feel and handling and not just theoretically. I bought a 2006 IS350 recently, but I'm not too fond of the ride and handling. I feel like it's too bouncy. We have a 2014 C300 4MATIC which I really enjoy driving. The ride is firm and sporty but comfortable at the same time, where you don't feel like you just cracked a bone every time you run over a pot hole, which by the way there are a lot of where I live. I was thinking that maybe the F-type springs and shocks would give me the ride feel I'm looking for, but from all the forums I've read it seems like coilovers is the way to go. Basically what I'm looking for is a smooth but sporty drive, if that can be done... and by all means please make a recommendation(s). Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Note that not only spring rates determine the ride of the coilovers, also the shock characteristics (compression/rebound ...) is important.

The Flex has only a little higher spring rates compared to the CS, but the CS is waaay more comfortable due to different shocks.
I'm pretty new to this and was also looking at coilovers myself. Allot of people suggest like BC's or Megan's but im not that rich. For the tien coilovers u suggest. Do you feel like it's the best bang for your buck because I'm not really looking to race or any of that. I just want something smooth to drive in

·
4,271 Posts
I'm pretty new to this and was also looking at coilovers myself. Allot of people suggest like BC's or Megan's but im not that rich. For the tien coilovers u suggest. Do you feel like it's the best bang for your buck because I'm not really looking to race or any of that. I just want something smooth to drive in
Old thread. That member has not posted in a very long time. If you look at his profile info. So he probably is not around.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts