Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
yes, of course, spring rates aren't the only factor in determining ride comfort, but it is a big component. Plus, pretty much all of the coilovers offer a degree of adjustability from the dampening. And lower spring rates will allow you to set your dampening to a softer setting without too much bounce.

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
I have tein HA's on my sportcross. 24 way adjustable, set on 14 front, 12 rear. Rears need to be 13 IMO, as rebound seems a touch soft. I'm too lazy to adjust them as I need to drill holes in the rear covers or spend 30mins to pull them loose. With the TRD sportivo sways on the car, it rides like my wife's stock BMW 330i. Firm, but not harsh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tein cs is one of the best coilovers for comfort.... i set mines at the hardest setting and still have a nice ride.

·
Registered
398 Posts
T Man said:
I hear that the Zeal B6 coilovers are very good. They are pretty expensive though. Ask Wxman about them. He has a set on his car.
i heard the Zeals are very stiff. Theyre made for japanese roads which all happen to be very smooth from what i hear. They also have high spring rates as listed above.

I also have Tein HAs and love them. 1/1 is a nice new car like firmness but a little bouncy. I have mine set at 8/10 for daily driving

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
word_up said:
I also have Tein HAs and love them. 1/1 is a nice new car like firmness but a little bouncy. I have mine set at 8/10 for daily driving

Turn them up a couple of clicks, the 'bouncy' will go away. Tein's HA adjustments generally lean more toward rebound than compression. What you're feeling is the strut's inability to control the spring after you hit a bump.

-B

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Brad Bedell said:
Turn them up a couple of clicks, the 'bouncy' will go away. Tein's HA adjustments generally lean more toward rebound than compression. What you're feeling is the strut's inability to control the spring after you hit a bump.

-B

When you say turn them up, you mean stiffer or softer?

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
monkeypee said:
When you say turn them up, you mean stiffer or softer?

Stiffer. Bouncy is almost always caused by poor spring control.

Before anyone argues, please understand that there is difference between 'bouncy' and 'too harsh'. (I can't think of a better term for too much compression or lack of spring travel right now)

-B

·
Registered
296 Posts
My Zeal Funtion-Xs have spring raktes of 8kg-mm/6kg-mm.
They guys at Zeal say the valving for their coilvers has been tuned. Also
they are now using a Swift spring that is specially tuned for their coilovers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have the tanabe pro ss and i love them, i have them set to 2 in front and 4 in back . car handels really good nice and tight and factory like ride .

·
Registered
157 Posts
T Man said:
I hear that the Zeal B6 coilovers are very good. They are pretty expensive though. Ask Wxman about them. He has a set on his car.
I have the Zeal B6. It's replacing my Koni/Eibach. I'll be surprised if the B6 is more comfy because it have no suspension travel at all. I hope it is.

Will let you know once I install it.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
word_up said:
i heard the Zeals are very stiff. Theyre made for japanese roads which all happen to be very smooth from what i hear. They also have high spring rates as listed above.

They are definitely not very stiff. I honestly don't think there is much of a comfort difference between them and stock. I actually was worried about losing ride quality but I have been nothing less than extremely satisfied with my Zeals.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
hirenjani said:
Well i was reading a write-up on D2 RS coilovers and they don't sound too bad and i believe they are $935.00
They do ride very nicely. Can be softter than stock or really really stiff depending on your taste.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wxman said:
They are definitely not very stiff. I honestly don't think there is much of a comfort difference between them and stock. I actually was worried about losing ride quality but I have been nothing less than extremely satisfied with my Zeals.
What tires do you have? or maybe your stock shocks were shot.

The Zeal B6 are stiff. In the course of a year I went from Stock > Koni > Zeal. Koni & Eibach Springs at its softest setting is noticebly stiffer than stock. Zeal's softest setting is around Koni's medium/firm setting. The Zeal have maybe 5 inch of suspension travel and it's springs are much stiff than stock. I don't know how its possible for you to conclude that it's no difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
JIC's monotube product line performs very well, however they have had quality and customer service issues in the past and for the price I would go for the Tein Flex or CS. If you want a little better, Zeal Function V6 (inverted monotube) is the best you can buy for the IS.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts