Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of how stiff my Tein SS dampers are, even adjusted to fully soft - truth be told, my IS will rarely see the track, and I need a nice comfortable street ride.

With the price limit at around $1300 or so, what are my options for a nice, smooth, quality coilover?

I was looking at the Tanabe S-OC II, possibly a set of Tein CS dampers ......

Ride quality is my # 1 priority here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
dont go with apexi N1 type v if ride quality is what you are looking for. rides very rough, even on a soft setting.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
TDLI said:
dont go with apexi N1 type v if ride quality is what you are looking for. rides very rough, even on a soft setting.
Best answer for you is stock!

But if you have to have the lowered look, then go with some H-techs/Pro-kit and Bilsteins and you will be happy. Coilover setups are for aggressive driving, not necessary if you want a better handling but near stock ride. most springs and spring/shock combos will do the job just fine

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
our roads are horrible. if i lived in CA, i might like my type Vs.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
A good set of springs & shocks > any coilovers if you are a daily driver.... looking for comfort & performance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kponti said:
Best answer for you is stock!

But if you have to have the lowered look, then go with some H-techs/Pro-kit and Bilsteins and you will be happy. Coilover setups are for aggressive driving, not necessary if you want a better handling but near stock ride. most springs and spring/shock combos will do the job just fine
well, i like the lowered look, and i do dig the increased performance, i'm just getting sick of driving on shitty roads with stiff coilovers. i like the height and dampening adjustability of coilovers (where applicable), but am getting tired of the ride quality is all.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Have you thought about swaping out the springs on your teins for lower spring rate springs? That might be a cheaper alternative that could solve the problem.

I'm considering doing that for my apex-i N1s.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I hear that the Zeal B6 coilovers are very good. They are pretty expensive though. Ask Wxman about them. He has a set on his car.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
im thinkin about getting a set of coilovers this summer...i've read taht the HKS hipermax II RS are have very nice ride comfort. If someone who has these coilover can verify this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hk300 said:
Tein CS = Comfort Spec.

This is Tein's most comfortable coilover.
i was considering these - more adjustability than the Tanabe coils, but also about $500 more.

i found this page on the HKS RS - looks like 6.0 kg F/ 9.0 kg R spring rates .... that is very similar to an S-Tech or an Eibach lowering spring.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i heard the new greddy coils are incredibly streetable. feel very responsive, and not to stiff. i have them on my car, but i have not driven it yet. ill let ou know how i feel abotu them when i get car back

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mikefate said:
i heard the new greddy coils are incredibly streetable. feel very responsive, and not to stiff. i have them on my car, but i have not driven it yet. ill let ou know how i feel abotu them when i get car back
cool, yeah man, post up a review. the more options for comfortable street coils the better. :approve:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
i have the Tein SS as well and a buddy of mine has the Tein Flex. his ride when put on the softest is very comfortable. i would try that if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 6/9 spring rate has to be a misprint off the Acuras.

10/9 off HKS website. http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1991&rsku=5774

The HKS website does not show anything for the Hypermax II, and the option import page does not show spring rates for them.

I had the Hypermax II, and found them a bit stiff (not harsh) at low speeds in the neighborhood (combined with TRD race sways). Anything over 30mph was comfortable, and got better the faster you go. Forest roads simply made you want to drive fast...

For road trips, I'd turn up the dampening about 6 clicks in the rear to compensate for a loaded trunk.

I'm a 38 year old fart, and I still give them a thumbs up.

...shameless plug, they'll be going up on EBay. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
A buddy of mine has HKS Hipermax RS in his G35. And at a rather soft setting on the damper the ride is very nice. Not harsh at all.

I will be installing a set of Zeal Function-Xs in my STI very soon. I'll give a review on here if you guys are interested.

My IS rides on H&R with Tokico HP shocks and I think that ride is nice. So we'll see about the Zeal's.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
ground controls wrapped around koni yellows! ride like caddy!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Here's some spring rate info for popular coilovers that I found over at the Lexus Owner's Club forums:

(in kg/mm^2: Front/Rear)

Tein CS: 8/6
Tanabe Sustec-Pro S-O: 8/6
HKS LS+: 8/8
Ohlins PCV: 9/7
Bridgestone NPG: 9/7
Tein Flex: 10/8
HKS HiperMax II: 10/9
C-One: 12/10
Tein HA: 12/12
Apexi N1 Type V: 14/9
Zeal Function-Zi: 14/10
HKS Hipermax Pro: 16/12
Tein RA: 18/16

·
Registered
231 Posts
Note that not only spring rates determine the ride of the coilovers, also the shock characteristics (compression/rebound ...) is important.

The Flex has only a little higher spring rates compared to the CS, but the CS is waaay more comfortable due to different shocks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts