Lexus IS Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've done plenty of DIY projects to my cars over the years but as I've become older I've become more selective with projects that I'm willing to tackle alone.
I thought the same (im getting to old for this crap) until i looked at the quotes for getting my timing belt installed compared to the price of the parts. Bugger that, i can do it myself, just going to take a little longer as i plod through it and i will be a lot sorer afterwards for longer lol.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus IS300 slicktop
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Here is a strange side-bar update. I somewhat accidentally stumbled across a very similar car to mine with a thoroughly built suspension, lower overall mileage, and an R154 installed. I tried to buy it but lost out due to the owner receiving a slightly higher offer, but now I'm looking to see what else I could buy for the money. It's not so much that I want to sell my current car as much as I know what I'm going to be paying overall to build this car up...so it's kind of a last ditch effort to start over with someone else's project that is much further along. The fallback plan is still to turbocharge my car, but I'm only foreshadowing that a plot twist may be coming.

If anyone following this is aware of any well built/modified manual transmission turbo builds, please send them my way. I am only after clean cars (no salvage titles) and of course prefer slicktops. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
😩 don’t give up. You have done so much already.
I don't see it as giving up if my goal is to have a turbocharged IS300 per se, but I'm a picky buyer for sure so don't worry too much. :)

Reactions: ill_mannered

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is a strange side-bar update. I somewhat accidentally stumbled across a very similar car to mine with a thoroughly built suspension, lower overall mileage, and an R154 installed. I tried to buy it but lost out due to the owner receiving a slightly higher offer, but now I'm looking to see what else I could buy for the money. It's not so much that I want to sell my current car as much as I know what I'm going to be paying overall to build this car up...so it's kind of a last ditch effort to start over with someone else's project that is much further along. The fallback plan is still to turbocharge my car, but I'm only foreshadowing that a plot twist may be coming.

If anyone following this is aware of any well built/modified manual transmission turbo builds, please send them my way. I am only after clean cars (no salvage titles) and of course prefer slicktops. Thanks to all!
If you want to retain the slicktop "feature," then it would be very hard (I'd imagine) to find one thats as qualified as you seek. I've never seen a slicktop is300 in person or for sale, and rarely in pictures if at all. I've always thought they were cool though and wish mine was a slicktop sometimes.

It may not be worth the gamble anyways, buying another person's project with unforeseen issues, at least you know everything going on with your current is300.

Regardless, I wish you best of luck with your build/search.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Oh, I definitely agree. Chances are good that it's staying with me...this was just my last time to start over with another example so I wanted to explore it. I suspect I'll be staying the course.

Reactions: IS300 2001

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, I definitely agree. Chances are good that it's staying with me...this was just my last time to start over with another example so I wanted to explore it. I suspect I'll be staying the course.
Yeah there's no point in not testing the waters before you go any further. Good job on the build so far it's looking really good man.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hehe, Steve is looking for a unicorn within unicorns. I found mine but it took almost 2 years to find it and it had some mechanical issue that I had to fix. Can't complain though, slick top, factory manual, with 78k miles when I bought it. Given that was like 3 years ago...IS300 are harder and harder to find with manual with a clean title and have not been beat on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
At least you guys understand me. Although I absolutely love my car I do sometimes wish it was a better overall example so that I don't have to rehab everything.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Having trouble getting my welding stuff handled prior to heat coating. As I'm really busy lately (and already missed my cutoff for having this car ready for a car show in late June) it hasn't been a big deal, but I do want to get the ball rolling in a few weeks. I just sold a few other parts which should give me the money I needed to get the heat coating and welding paid for. So that's good!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Here are a couple photos of my CX Racing manifold prior to heat coating. I'll be doing a 2000 degree black finish when I have this and the downpipe coated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
So, fortunately I'm all out of excuses now. I did have numerous ones.

1. Too busy
2. My shop isn't ready for me to take the car apart due to flooring we still need to get done
3. Local welders and their inability or lack of time to get my job done
4. My friend had his back go out and is on doctor's orders to not lift anything (he's a great DIY mechanic)
5. Lack of money to get all the various bits and pieces done

I have systematically addressed all of these excuses in order to get my build un-stuck, and I want to drive my turbocharged IS300 to events this late summer and fall.

So...this is happening and happening soon!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Also, if you guys want I'll provide a cost breakdown when this all settles. Although I did base my approach on a 'budget' kit, there will be very little budget when it's done despite the simple nature of my build. I just like high end parts and finishes too much!

101 - 113 of 113 Posts