Lexus IS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Although I'd enjoy nothing more than to give a great update about how all my parts are arriving, the reality is that I'm still waiting for my CX Racing kit to arrive. It is due to arrive any day, but my expectations are understandably low about that based on the current progress. To be fair to all the other parts I just ordered above (Turbo, WG, BOV), they are not expected to ship in the near term as I opted to save money on shipping by bundling everything together. I will be adding a T4 turbo blanket to that order next week once the Black Friday pricing is released. At this point I do hope to have all the parts in time for Christmas, which I suppose is symbolic and fun! Once parts start arriving I'll share pictures of course, and in the meantime I'm definitely enjoying other build threads that are moving faster than mine.

Reactions: ill_mannered

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Just read through your thread and can’t wait for the updates! I’m thinking of doing this myself including all the steps you listed
Thank you very much, and I do hope to be able to showcase lots of relevant build content soon. Win, lose, or draw I want to share the experience with the community here as I know there is always interest in real 'bolt on' turbo kits, and my Stage 1 build will be exactly that. Although I will keep building the car beyond that over time, it will be a great checkpoint for myself and others if things go together well. My expectations are reasonable, and the parts used should lead to a decent result if all goes to plan. It would seem that the pandemic of 2020 wasn't the best point in time to start a project like this with suppliers behaving so slowly, but it is what it is and we can never predict the future. Again, I definitely appreciate your kind words and stay tuned for more updates in time.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
You guys can be sure I always want to bring good updates, but as of now it remains at "all large parts have been ordered and I continue to wait on delivery". I did try to get an update out of CX Racing about the kit itself (which by their own admission is a couple months late now) and unfortunately I don't have any meaningful update. I suspect I'll start getting the other parts sooner, and of course will keep this thread updated as parts arrive.

On a happier note, my local IS300 group is having a meet tomorrow that I plan to attend, and at least one completed turbocharged IS300 will be there. If nothing else it should provide some motivation for me in my own project. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man CX Racing really is keeping you in suspense, but just hang in there, it will all be worth it in the end. Also that's a pretty decent score you made getting those legit parts on black Friday. Oddly enough, genuine parts just give you that extra 72.65% confidence in your build, not that the Chinachargers of today are bad, but new legit things are just better(erererer).

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I really appreciate those kind words @Pynoxim and know that it will be worth the wait and fuss once it's together. In a bit of happy news I was able to attend a local IS300 owners meet today and one of my buddies brought his swapped 2JZ-GTE powered car which provided ample motivation for me! A very high quality swap that has already been proving fun for him, but he's enhancing it slowly but surely too.

Engine Car Automotive engine part Hood Automotive super charger part
Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
OK so the latest update from CX Racing is in and basically the kit has arrived minus the FMIC, and the delays are now directly at the port (which is all backed up). They think they will receive the intercooler at the end of December 2020, so let's see what happens!

In slightly happier news, a good local friend of mine let me know I could buy his Cusco underbody braces for my own IS300, which is pretty damn cool as I didn't even realize he had them. That's a modification I really want to do so that I can firm up the chassis a bit more to handle the added power/torque I'm planning to add.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Current update is that I received my triple gauge pod from Cody but am still waiting for everything from CX Racing and my turbo, WG, and BOV. I did hear back about my turbo and it's going to be back from the polisher soon, so I'm starting to think my upgraded turbo, WG, and BOV will beat the actual kit here. I sure hope it doesn't take a full calendar year to get this darn turbo kit!!

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Supposedly (and you should all definitely take this update with a very large grain of salt), my kit will arrive in the USA late this week. I'll believe it when it happens. :)

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Are you guys having the same issues with shipping delays as we are?

We currently have something like 4-6 week delays with container ships sitting out in the harbor waiting to come in to unload and load, apparently the ports cant keep up due to COVID . . . and now the America's cup blocking Auckland's main harbor entrance

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·

We currently have something like 4-6 week delays with container ships sitting out in the harbor waiting to come in to unload and load, apparently the ports cant keep up due to COVID . . . and now the America's cup blocking Auckland's main harbor entrance
I guess the answer is yes, but I'm not being given specific answers. I have heard from a couple of vendors that everything is all messed up worldwide right now, but that doesn't really help explain exactly what.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
96 Posts

I ordered new temples for my Ray Ban eyeglasses from Germany (literally an envelope!) and they've been sitting at a USPS international distribution center in NY since Thanksgiving with zero updates since then :(. I ordered a JDM double DIN dash kit on October 13th and it arrived last week. Even the smallest international packages are crazy delayed to an average time of 3-4 months, it's ridiculous!

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I'd like nothing more than to be able to give a REAL update about my own parts, but something good did happen to me yesterday. I met a local owner who doesn't belong to any of our shared groups, and he has a CX Racing kit installed on his own 2002 5MT IS300. I was able to look over the kit and listen him to describe the challenges he had with it and how he overcame them. The best part of all is that he actually road races his car with the CX Racing kit, the supplied CX Racing GT35 turbo, and the CX Racing BOV. He runs it with a proper fuel system and clutch upgrade (and EMS) and pushes nearly 400 whp through his W55. When I expressed concerns about the longevity of that with his gearbox he said he's been gentle on the car in first gear but drives it hard in gears 2-5 and has had the setup for about 1.5 years. As you guys know, road racing is a pretty serious stress test, and so I was quite impressed to hear what he's doing with his car and the given mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
He runs it with a proper fuel system and clutch upgrade (and EMS) and pushes nearly 400 whp through his W55. When I expressed concerns about the longevity of that with his gearbox he said he's been gentle on the car in first gear but drives it hard in gears 2-5 and has had the setup for about 1.5 years. As you guys know, road racing is a pretty serious stress test, and so I was quite impressed to hear what he's doing with his car and the given mods.
2nd gear is normally the problem on the W55 transmissions, from what I've heard. Some guys have broken them drifting on basically stock 2JZGE engines, but we all know that drifting destroys a lot of driveline parts and who knows what clutches they were using.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
2nd gear is normally the problem on the W55 transmissions, from what I've heard. Some guys have broken them drifting on basically stock 2JZGE engines, but we all know that drifting destroys a lot of driveline parts and who knows what clutches they were using.
Nice to see another slicktop owner chiming in here!

Reactions: Piggity

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300-T
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Whats a slicktop? Im picturing an old school guy with grease in his hair from greased lightning... :LOL:
Too much fun! Just another way to say sunroof delete. Some of us only want these cars, whereas others only want sunroofs.

Reactions: Pnut00

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Steve Theodore how's it going? I just picked up a white 01 auto for my daily. I've promised myself not to boost it but reading through this thread is making me reconsider ha ha. Looking foward to your updates.

61 - 80 of 150 Posts