Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've just read your thread and I can honestly say that I'm super excited to see the end results. It doesn't matter how many threads I see with guys going NA-T on their IS, it's always an exciting moment for me.

Also, just a correction with regards to the fuel system. So I was aware at the time that the stock ECU wouldn't like seeing anything more or less at the rail and of course vaccuum would cause FP to drop to around 32 PSI at idle however what I did was added a one-way check valve into the vaccuum/boost reference line and that solved that issue as a vaccuum couldn't be pulled at idle but fuel pressure would remain stable with boost giving me the full (260cc?) of injector as opposed to fuel pressure dropping by around 5 PSI in boost. I also bumped fuel pressure up to 50 PSI base just to get a bit more out of the stock injectors and the ECU was okay with that.

That being said I had run the set with both the RRFPR and the stock rail with an uprated fuel pump (And a stock pump mind you) and results were practically the same with the stock rail setup leaning out a little bit more right at the top.
It means a lot to me to have you stop by my little build thread as you're definitely one of the key contributors to what motivated me to do this at all. So thank you for all your great knowledge and sharing on the matter. Just as you faced with your own build, sometimes delays are not in our control and here I am awaiting for my turbo kit to arrive still, but of course that gives me more time to plan.

No real update here, and CX Racing hasn't confirmed when the next batch of turbo kits will be ready (but I'm in the very next production group). I hope to share some good news by the end of October, but they are already about 3 weeks late from their first estimates. I know this happens, but it is still disappointing as I hoped to have the turbo kit on the car before the rainy season set in. I'll do my best once my parts come, and I've already been working with my other vendor to pick out an appropriate Precision Turbo, TIAL wastegate, and TIAL BOV, and T4 style turbo blanket to accompany the CX Racing kit.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
858 Posts
I too am eager to see how your kit turns out with the precision. As that is the turbo I am going to after the CX one blows up (if it does) I figured for the $200 they are charging for it I may as well try it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Small and semi-related update...I got back from a week long trip to Vegas in another car of mine and got to check out a really nice 1JZ-GTE powered IS300 at the track. We had a blast running nose to tail there and I really enjoyed seeing the IS300 being driven so quickly on track...major respect from me (and a new friend gained). Great time seeing so many amazing GE and GTE powered cars at the national Supra meet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Another tiny update...but believe me I'm eager to share anything at this point.

Yesterday I managed to get a very high quality oil return line for the upcoming kit (from a local buddy) and also a brand new Mishimoto radiator to upgrade my stock unit during the installation of the turbo kit. There is no formal updates on the availability of my turbo kit yet unfortunately.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Another tiny update...but believe me I'm eager to share anything at this point.

Yesterday I managed to get a very high quality oil return line for the upcoming kit (from a local buddy) and also a brand new Mishimoto radiator to upgrade my stock unit during the installation of the turbo kit. There is no formal updates on the availability of my turbo kit yet unfortunately.
Just read through your thread an am excited to have found it haha. Project is coming along quickly! Looking forward to seeing pics of parts and installs along the way :)

What does the drain line look like? The main reason I'm thinking about ditching my CX manifold is because of how hard everything is to reach (and the drain line would go down directly into the exhaust collector/runners and cause a risk of fire). Very common complaint. Doesn't help that my turbo is also a bit big for the manifold, so the downpipe won't fit right when using a spacer for the turbo to clear. I'm going fully custom manifold/turbo-back exhaust/intercooler/piping instead, and selling my CX stuff and spare FFIM intercooler setup lol.

Depending on the turbo, some people have used a Cummins flexible metal drain line to snake around the CX manifold though. That's a foolproof solution tbh. Some people also get shortened exhaust studs to go in the head to make manifold install easier (and removal easier in the case of inconel/titanium studs that don't rust).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'd love to answer your questions better, but the only parts I have right now are the oil return line and radiator. But I'll include a picture of the return line here for your reference. The can of peanuts is included as a size reference only (not because I was hungry...lol).

This also gets me into the habit of posting photos, which of course I'll be doing for the duration of this project. I'm a bit saddened that the delays are already pushing me into fall/winter, but as we all know, that's part of the process for any significant builds and I've seen so many others of us struggle with the same over time.

Attachments

Reactions: QWKSLVR_JCE10

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Oh I also forgot to mention that I met another local IS300 who happens to have a turbocharged 2003 IS300 slicktop backed by a R154 who mentioned he'd be willing to help me with the swap from a hands-on perspective once it gets rolling along. That's obviously going to come in handy with 2 local friends and Cody Graham as my 'phone a friend' to assist!

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Oh I also forgot to mention that I met another local IS300 who happens to have a turbocharged 2003 IS300 slicktop backed by a R154 who mentioned he'd be willing to help me with the swap from a hands-on perspective once it gets rolling along. That's obviously going to come in handy with 2 local friends and Cody Graham as my 'phone a friend' to assist!
Cody is a legend, every platform needs someone like Cody haha

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Kind of laughing as I just happen to have 3 Lexus IS models in my driveway currently. The pictured SportCross is not mine, but is available to win at NO RESERVE as part of an ongoing charity fundraiser auction. If you want to see it or bid on it, go here: https://dreamcarxchange.com/product/is300-sportcross/

Feel free to share that link however you like btw. Proceeds are going to benefit the Seattle Area Feline Rescue organization, a non profit that helps our little furry friends. :)

Attachments

Reactions: QWKSLVR_JCE10
41 - 49 of 49 Posts