Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
730 Posts
Well, true to my original schedule for 'Stage 2' I'm shopping for a turbo kit now. My IS300 has had all its needed maintenance/service, is sitting on a better suspension, and has the wheels/tires that I wanted. Now I'm poring through build threads here and consulting others how to achieve my modest first results from turbocharging.

Somewhat annoyingly, even though I plan to use the CX Racing kit only for the FMIC and turbo manifold, they appear to be out of the kits currently. Just my luck! :confused:
Yes they are. I just saw that a few days ago. Hopefully they will stock some soon. I think you should give them a call.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes they are. I just saw that a few days ago. Hopefully they will stock some soon. I think you should give them a call.
Funny you should say that. At this point I've done the following in an effort to reach them.

1. Called them (you cannot currently leave them a message)
2. Filled out an online form from their website to reach out to me
3. Sent them an e-mail to their 'sales' alias
4. Asked another performance shop that can buy from them as a wholesaler to try to reach them
5. FaceBook message them (didn't seem to be possible)

Nothing, zero, nada, zip in terms of response, but to be fair I only started trying yesterday. So, I'll just try to be patient at this point. :)

Reactions: ill_mannered

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I want to point out that a major goal of my self-defined 'Stage 2' goal is to actually use the CX Racing kit in true bolt-on form. Meaning, I want to literally use their kit with a few safety modifications (wastegate, BOV, and turbo) and put it on my car with no tuning whatsoever, operating at the realm of 5-6 psi off the wastegate. This is intentional for many reasons...but mostly to see if it can be done safely for some duration of time.

When I personally think about 'bolt on' turbo kits, this is what I envision. It seems that most people do not actually use the kits in that way, and so I want to do my part to gather some data by doing it like that. Although I know the cries of foul might ensue for replacing such core pieces of their kit, I do want to operate the kit as safely as I can for my intended use case. Once the car goes to my self-described 'Stage 3' then I'll likely go a completely different direction, but I'm not in a big hurry and have several faster cars to drive if the real speed bug hits.

When I research kits like these (for the past 4+ years at least), it always seems like this phase is skipped, and people instead start tuning the car, adding bigger fuel systems, etc. but the real goal here is to see what is possible in the most basic bolt-on turbo kit possible. Now of course my biggest challenge is just buying the kit itself.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
694 Posts
Meaning, I want to literally use their kit with a few safety modifications (wastegate, BOV, and turbo)
I think the hard parts are pretty good for the price. Back when I got mine,it was like 700 for the CX gte manifold, dump tube, and midpipe. I used the bov and turbo out of an XS kit I bought before I decided to just gte swap the car. Admittedly, I did have a standalone but stayed on the gte 440cc injectors for a bit. I’ve since upgraded the bov, turbo, injectors, cams etc. The CX mani, midpipe, and dump along with the CX intercooler are still chugging along.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Have a search for build threads about a year or 2 ago, I forget the guys logon name but he did a boosted GS (?) with just upgrading the fuel pump and maybe injectors, and ran the wideband to try and get the fuel trims right with the stock ECU.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have a search for build threads about a year or 2 ago, I forget the guys logon name but he did a boosted GS (?) with just upgrading the fuel pump and maybe injectors, and ran the wideband to try and get the fuel trims right with the stock ECU.
That would be Pynoxim. Here’s his thread.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've read the thread a couple times by Pynoxim (thanks for the handy link) and feel he went a bit too far as I want to leave the fuel system stock. In my discussions with Cody Graham (a longtime friend) he actually pointed out that manipulating the stock fuel system will only cause problems for me as the stock ECU cannot tolerate a return style system and always expects 45ish psi at the rail. I won't be modifying my fuel system. Keep in mind that I expect the car to make around 230 whp in my anticipated Stage 1 configuration, which is 55-60 more than stock. Remember this is intentional, and I realize that even at my Stage 1 that my 190k mile shortblock will be taking some stress that it doesn't expect.

I want to prove to myself and everyone else what is possible when this kit is really treated in the form it is intended. I expect to be using a Precision turbo in the 55-58mm size range, but that is a detail to be sorted out. Again, my primary challenge is getting CX Racing to sell me their kit as I sit here with money in hand waiting for them to return my contact efforts. LOL, what a problem to have!

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The only real progress update is that I have a contact that knows one of the folks who works at CX Racing and they are attempting to get ahold of them directly for an update on the kit availability. I have been completely unable to get anyone there to speak with me despite all contact attempt methods, but it does seem they are out of stock of the downpipe from the quantity testing I've done on their website. I am of course hoping to get this confirmed soon with a real estimate on availability. Although we all know that delays in this industry are inevitable, there is something so frustrating about having the money to buy something you've wanted for a long time and being unable to do it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, it's not the worlds most exciting update but I have ordered and paid for the CX Racing kit, and it's scheduled to be delivered to me in mid September. I'll obviously re-visit this once we get closer to that planned delivery date, and fingers are crossed that I get it around the timeline. I bought the standard kit with no turbo or wastegate as I had planned to replace both items. Wish me luck! :)

·
Registered
2004 IS300 e-shift
2 Posts
Good to hear you were able to order the CX kit, any chance they told you how many would be made/when they'd be back in stock? I was also looking at picking up a manifold/downpipe kit but as you said before the DP appears to be out of stock.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good to hear you were able to order the CX kit, any chance they told you how many would be made/when they'd be back in stock? I was also looking at picking up a manifold/downpipe kit but as you said before the DP appears to be out of stock.
The short answer is 'no', but I suspect that they are taking orders from their website for the DP and kit and when they hit a required minimum that they will send them through to be built as a batch, meaning it's a common practice. What I definitely cannot tell you is that whether that is A) true or B) how many so it's purely speculative on my part.

They are not strong communicators at CX Racing, and to drive that point home even further is that they still haven't replied to me directly and have no easy way to know that my questions/needs were even handled as I bought the kit through a reseller who was able to reach them directly.

·
Registered
2004 IS300 e-shift
2 Posts
The short answer is 'no', but I suspect that they are taking orders from their website for the DP and kit and when they hit a required minimum that they will send them through to be built as a batch, meaning it's a common practice. What I definitely cannot tell you is that whether that is A) true or B) how many so it's purely speculative on my part.

They are not strong communicators at CX Racing, and to drive that point home even further is that they still haven't replied to me directly and have no easy way to know that my questions/needs were even handled as I bought the kit through a reseller who was able to reach them directly.
Gotcha, thanks for the response! I was going to try reaching out to them so glad to hear you went through the trouble for me haha. Do you mind sharing the reseller's info so I can reach out for a kit as well?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Gotcha, thanks for the response! I was going to try reaching out to them so glad to hear you went through the trouble for me haha. Do you mind sharing the reseller's info so I can reach out for a kit as well?
No problem, I was fairly frustrated myself as it's definitely a bummer when you have 'cash in hand' and are trying to buy something you've wanted for a long time, only to not be able to get it.

The reseller is Titan Motorsports out of Orlando, FL. I am long term friends with the owner to be fair, but the sales person I dealt with is named Kyle Scott and you can reach him here directly: 407-277-8423 x234

Reactions: Nachonater
21 - 34 of 34 Posts