Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'd like my current IS300 to go through a few phases as I want to use it for a daily driver for the next few years. Ultimately I will go manual swap but I'm in no hurry to do it as I want to properly enjoy the experience. Here is the phased progress I'd like to accomplish if possible.

Phase 1 (current) - NA phase, fix/repair and get the car up to my standards. This is already underway, but plenty more to fix as I go.
Phase 2 (next year) - turbocharge the GE block, retain stock automatic, low boost (reliable) build that can still be enjoyed daily
Phase 3 (tbd) - higher horsepower GE block, retain/modify automatic, medium boost that may not be daily driven, but could be in a pinch
Phase 4 (tbd) - more horsepower, manual swap, no more daily driven

I have a tremendous local mechanic/shop who is definitely up to speed on these cars overall (they support 1200+ whp Supras), but they don't currently look after any turbocharged automatic IS300s, so were not as well versed on what would be the best solution there.

I've done plenty of research but still have lots of questions, particularly about Phase 2. I want to buy parts that I can mostly re-use and build on later, and so it's important to me to select things that will last as long as possible. This confuses me most on the engine management side of things, and I really want help outlining my options there. I realize that running dual ECUs is probably a must due to my automatic, but could you help me outline what this might look like in terms of real options? Thanks in advance as I love this platform so much, and actually enjoy my daily driven stock automatic at this point...but want to start amassing parts to build towards Phase 2 in 2020.

Happy New Year!

·
3,251 Posts
Well as far as the automatic. That will depend on what power you plan to run through it.

But, If you up the valve body pressure, Shim the accumulator pistons or swap for better billet ones with dual o-rings. It will be good for up to about 450 to 500 WHP roughly. If treated nicely. If going for more power. You will need more changes that will requires serious work.
Going stick is all a matter of your choice.

As far as Turbo deal. Manifolds will depend on end goal. Same with inter-cooler. Witch the inter-cooler may need to be upgraded later depending on start and finish goals. Turbo and injectors will change no mater what.

Management. Duel or stand alone is up to you. Once you go higher HP. I would think. Judging by you saying you want to convert to stick. I would go with the links setup. It will help with converting to stick and give you the tuning you will need.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 01 SolarYellow, appreciate the reply.

I suspect I want something like a Boomslang harness that will allow me to tie my stock ECU to a Link G4 or AEM Infinity ECU, which would allow me to keep my automatic transmission and stock gauges happy, but split off engine controls to the aftermaket EMS. Like I said, building a proper growth plan is definitely on my mind and so I've tried to pay closer attention to what people with mild to medium setups are doing, more so than the aggressive builds. The final phase of my build will be semi-aggressive, but as I have formerly owned a 1200+ whp Supra I don't ever plan to get to the level of insanity again. The car will ultimately remain fun but fast and I'm in no huge hurry to get to the final phase as I want to enjoy the progress at each stage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still at Stage 1 for now but having a lot of fun with the car. My wife gave me a Dragy for Christmas last year so I've been busy datalogging regularly.

At this point the car has had nearly all of it's maintenance done and is in good solid shape. I dyno tested the car bone stock this spring and it put down 174 rwhp, 182 wtq on a Dynojet with about 190k miles on the original engine and stock transmission. My best Dragy verified 1/4 mile run so far is a 15.30 @ 92.71 mph and I have installed a Tanabe Medallion exhaust since. I think it will be 2021 before I get to turbocharge the car but I do have a few modifications incoming including new coilovers and new wheels. Should be fun, and I'm really enjoying having an IS300 again!

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
car looks good! I too am trying to go the most appropriate route to turbocharging with my wife’s auto is300. I did just purchase the complete cxracing turbo kit. I personally will be going with the Megasquirt 3 stand alone. DW300 fuel pump, 1000cc injectors

Reactions: Steve Theodore

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car looks good! I too am trying to go the most appropriate route to turbocharging with my wife’s auto is300. I did just purchase the complete cxracing turbo kit. I personally will be going with the Megasquirt 3 stand alone. DW300 fuel pump, 1000cc injectors
Thank you my friend. Are you planning to run the MS3 in tandem with the OEM ECU to maintain automatic shifting control? I've read many times that the CX Racing kit is a very good start for any GE based build.

Reactions: ill_mannered

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Yes unfortunately there aren’t any AT transmission controllers to shift the a650e, so I will be running the engine on the MS3 and the factory ECU will control the transmission. I will try and be very detailed here when I start the project. I’ve already posted up some
Pictures of the kit as I received some of it a couple days ago. You might be able to find it in the go faster section

·
3,251 Posts
Yes unfortunately there aren’t any AT transmission controllers to shift the a650e, so I will be running the engine on the MS3 and the factory ECU will control the transmission. I will try and be very detailed here when I start the project. I’ve already posted up some
Pictures of the kit as I received some of it a couple days ago. You might be able to find it in the go faster section
Dicktator Transmission Controller

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dicktator Transmission Controller
That's pretty interesting and I've never seen it before, thanks for sharing it. However, after looking through those pages I'd be really cautious about doing business with them for two reasons:
1. They are based in South Africa and have very limited contact information
2. They haven't updated ANYTHING since Feb 28, 2018

I don't have much confidence in anything I'm seeing there as it looks hugely risky, and the fact that I've never heard of them before despite being interested in this very topic only adds to my concerns.

Reactions: ill_mannered

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Well I was going to take a look. But this two negatives are indeed going to stop me. So I will run two ECUs. If the car was a manual it would be much easier to ditch the factory ECU but it’s my wife’s car so it will stay AT and I will be on a mission to make it as 100% functional as I can keep it.

·
3,251 Posts
Or may be this TCM2800 Transmission Controller

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Yea I’ve looked into that one above. But there is no harness for the Lexus and I don’t want to dive that far off into the deep end just yet lol.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Maybe im missing something, but if you had to go get another ECU to run the trans why not just keep the original as you say to just do the trans? You are going to be running 2 anyway, at least you know the OEM one works.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Maybe im missing something, but if you had to go get another ECU to run the trans why not just keep the original as you say to just do the trans? You are going to be running 2 anyway, at least you know the OEM one works.
Not sure where you got the idea that I was getting another factory ECU? I am getting a Megasquirt to run the engine while keeping my factory ECU in place to operate the transmission.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Not sure where you got the idea that I was getting another factory ECU? I am getting a Megasquirt to run the engine while keeping my factory ECU in place to operate the transmission.
Sorry, what I meant was i don't quite understand why anyone would use those suggested Powertrain or Diktator ECU for the trans instead of the factory one like you are doing. But i could be missing something...?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, what I meant was i don't quite understand why anyone would use those suggested Powertrain or Diktator ECU for the trans instead of the factory one like you are doing. But i could be missing something...?
I had the same thought as you, meaning unless having 'more' control over the stock automatic was the real goal and the Diktator ECU actually did what it's supposed to. Again, I see way too much risk in both of those aftermarket control units to control the stock automatic transmission, so feel it's better to leave things to the stock ECU for that purpose.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Honestly the most important goal of running a trans controller is that you can change shift points and shift quality. That is a great advantage to have in getting the AT to live with higher power. This and also being able to control timing with the stand alone ECU at the shift points. I will be retarding timing significantly during shifts to reduce load/shock on the transmissions. This will lessen the chances of sprags getting destroyed from all the shock of shifting under full power.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, true to my original schedule for 'Stage 2' I'm shopping for a turbo kit now. My IS300 has had all its needed maintenance/service, is sitting on a better suspension, and has the wheels/tires that I wanted. Now I'm poring through build threads here and consulting others how to achieve my modest first results from turbocharging.

Somewhat annoyingly, even though I plan to use the CX Racing kit only for the FMIC and turbo manifold, they appear to be out of the kits currently. Just my luck! :confused:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts