Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know AFE sells them on their website..but is there any other place that I can get one for my srt intake? My current filter is all crushed from sucking up the air. And what model and size does SRT use. I know its a 5" but what type.

·
8,827 Posts
$50 from SRT directly!

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Can't you just clean them? :-?

sure & that works great but after a while the wear & tear & just all the handling of them wears them out & they start looking like crap .... all rough & with crooked/ bent ribs & pleats etc... not nice anymore........ they wil lstill work... just loo kcrappy... seems like they wil llast a good two years with normal cleaning etc... clean 'em more & they seem to get tattered sooner....

Edward

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
edgy said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Can't you just clean them? :-?

sure & that works great but after a while the wear & tear & just all the handling of them wears them out & they start looking like crap .... all rough & with crooked/ bent ribs & pleats etc... not nice anymore........ they wil lstill work... just loo kcrappy... seems like they wil llast a good two years with normal cleaning etc... clean 'em more & they seem to get tattered sooner....

Edward
How could they got torn up, all you're doing is rinsing them?

You rinse with a degreaser agent, or some people use club soda, then re-oil it. You never touch the cotton, and you never brush, scrub, or agitate it in any way. How could it decompose?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
it is only thin cotton gauze... it is not made to last for ever & all those little particles of Dirt & shit flying into the fibers wear at them.. .they cut them & embed them selves & wear them again when it is washed..
chemicals in the cleaners also do their pert to weaken the fiberse....basically, it IS only Cotton gauze.... it JUST WEARS OUT EVENTUALLY.... :eek:

As for the other "wear & tear"... if you handle the filter alot over a year or two it will end up looking beat up... the ribs & mesh holding the gauze in place will get fuked up eventually..... bent dented what ever ya wanna call it.... they also eventually end up looking like crap, & the difference in a New one Vs an older beat up one is like night & day .. . performance wise as well as Looks wise

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
lol Jesus man! Quit using a strap-wrench to remove it! :lol:

I read somewhere NOT to use K&N filter cleaning kits on these AFE filters from SRT. Why is that? I have a K&N kit, but I don't want to go looking for an AFE cleaning kit.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
No biggie really they just wanna sell ya THEIR kit.... :roll:

if ya don't wanna use the K&N or the Club Soda Treatment that I put together...use any decent fairly mild degreaser..... try Hot water too.

Edward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.