2004 Acura TSX 2.4L Inline 4
Automatic Transmission
200 HP
166 ft.lbs.

Used 2001(2) BMW 330i 3.0L Inline 6
Automatic Transmission
225 HP
214 ft.lbs.

Now which one of these would be best car to buy overall? (consider these things: performance, comfort, quality & reliability, features, style, and maintainance)

Also, I've heard bad reliability with Audi A4 1.8T, but not 3.0L. Is this engine better in terms of reliability?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The German cars will cost more to maintain than the Japanese cars will. Between the TSX and the IS you probably can’t go wrong. Pick the one that you like better according to whatever criteria you choose.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
bmw has been having a lot of electrical probs lately
audi is making a good run but don't know how the cvt will hold up?
tsx - only a 4 banger (sort of a hi priced accord)
is- good choice

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recall that the Consumer Reports review on the 2002 A4 was not very good. Take a look at an issue of the used car guide if you want more info.

Make sure if you get the Audi or BMW, they are still under those full service warraties the manufacturers offer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've never had any problem with my '01 before.

They're all good cars, it's just up to you to drive them and decide on what's best for you in the long run.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just choose whatever you feel like choosing...its your choice.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
go drive the thing.
oh btw, my friend just got a used 2001 S4 for $30,500 (36,000mi)
not sure about its reliability... but it's still an S4.
he's not gonna mod it so...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The TSX is nice, but it is a 4 cylinder, it is also wrong-wheel-drive, and it's overpriced. The Audi is nice, but it will be less reliable than the Japanese cars, and it may be wrong-wheel-drive also. The 330 is really nice, but it will cost a lot to maintain and it will most likely have more problems than the Japanese cars. The IS is the best overall package for the price.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
i would not even consider the CVT...

obviously I'd reccomend the IS300.

YOu list HP/T #'s, does that meant hat is all you are interested in?

Have you driven all of them? do they all cost the same $? Milage?

lots of factors to consider... Do not rule out the Bimmer, its a phat car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The A4 CVT is FWD. It'd be nice if Audi would release the CVT in AWD.
The TSX is a 4-banger FWD.

If drive wheels matter to you, that might make a difference.
Otherwise, it's down to a few things.
If you have no plans on heavy mods, and TCO is not a big deal to you, the '02 330i is the better car (performance wise) initially. Stay away from the '01 if you're at all an enthusiast. The steering isn't as responsive.

The 330i and IS are pretty damn close handling wise. The 330 is a little quicker off the line. Also, the 330i gets much better gas mileage.

However, a few grand into the IS will put you or better performance wise, AND if you really want to go nuts, the 2JZ-GE in the IS definitely has a higher ceiling performance wise.

Personally, I'd get the IS because I like how it looks more and eventually I'll buy a winter beater. When I do, I'll turbo my baby :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
dopey said:
The A4 CVT is FWD. It'd be nice if Audi would release the CVT in AWD.
The TSX is a 4-banger FWD.

If drive wheels matter to you, that might make a difference.
Otherwise, it's down to a few things.
If you have no plans on heavy mods, and TCO is not a big deal to you, the '02 330i is the better car (performance wise) initially. Stay away from the '01 if you're at all an enthusiast. The steering isn't as responsive.

The 330i and IS are pretty damn close handling wise. The 330 is a little quicker off the line. Also, the 330i gets much better gas mileage.

However, a few grand into the IS will put you or better performance wise, AND if you really want to go nuts, the 2JZ-GE in the IS definitely has a higher ceiling performance wise.

Personally, I'd get the IS because I like how it looks more and eventually I'll buy a winter beater. When I do, I'll turbo my baby :)
plus everyone and their mother has a 3-series :eek:

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I would stay away from the CVT.... Long term tests have indicated that it doesnt hold up to wear and tear very well. Cold weather starts are miserable, and smooth launches (not drag launches, just normal starts) are very jerky...

Id stick with proven trannies....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Furthermore, Audis are plagued by practically the same electrical bugs VW's are (same bloodline). Most of my Audi-owning friends have their A4's and TT's in the shop fairly regularly for this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts