Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm pretty familiar with stereo components, but my knowledge on sound dampening materials is pretty limited. I do know I had dynamat installed on my old car and it made a big difference in my stereo at the time, but can anyone run down the advantages/disadvantages of competing brands? I want the best sound dampener period. Right now, I'm just going to be using it to reduce road noise and quiet the cabin down, but later on, I'll be doing a nice system, so I'd like to get this step out of the way. I planned on doing the entire trunk, floor and doors. Can anyone suggest a brand and also an estimate on how much of the material it would take to silence everything as much as possible? Thanks! austin

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
xencloud said:
Hello all, I'm pretty familiar with stereo components, but my knowledge on sound dampening materials is pretty limited. I do know I had dynamat installed on my old car and it made a big difference in my stereo at the time, but can anyone run down the advantages/disadvantages of competing brands? I want the best sound dampener period. Right now, I'm just going to be using it to reduce road noise and quiet the cabin down, but later on, I'll be doing a nice system, so I'd like to get this step out of the way. I planned on doing the entire trunk, floor and doors. Can anyone suggest a brand and also an estimate on how much of the material it would take to silence everything as much as possible? Thanks! austin
They are all pretty equal. Its about cost, really! I myself only use and sell Cascade as it applies easily and is an awesome product that is cheaper than Dynamat.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks lisnup, how much/what packages should I buy to cover the amount of area I'm talking about? Thanks! Austin

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I've never used dynamat, cause it's too expensive. But I do use and recommend Cascade Vmax. Its so easy to apply, no heat gun required, but it does not stretch since it has an aluminum backing, it damps better then the vinyl type too. The VB2 can be used in areas that will be visible where you want to get it to conform to the metal, like in the trunk deck where there is exposed metal.

How much will it take?

Trunk - 3 sheets VB2, 12 sheets Vmax
Doors (each) - 1/2 sheet VB2, 2 sheets Vmax
Floor - (didn't do it yet but guessing) - 18 sheets Vmax

FYI the VB2 sheet is 14sf and the Vmax sheet is 2.6sf

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DH! Very informative, thanks for all the info.............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
xencloud
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing