Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - I kindof like tribue albums too...

Stone Free (Hendrix tributes)
Saturday Morning (covers of cartoon music done by rock bands)
Pickin on Dylan (instrumental bluegrass of Dylan tunes - not my normal bag, but I like it anyways)
Dead Beats (Greatful Dead doing Beatles tunes)

I have a bunch of other tribute/cover albums that I really like... But many bands prefer if you like them for _their_ tunes rather than their cover work. Still - I find it very interesting to hear how big name bands like to interpret and put their sound on some well known classics.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
metallica can blow me, specifically Lars Ulrich, that whinning pus. Napster all the way!

So you think that when a group spends millions of dollars and hundreds of hours producing an album, you should be able to get their stuff free. Um...whatever. Pro-Metallica forever!

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLS:
So you think that when a group spends millions of dollars and hundreds of hours producing an album, you should be able to get their stuff free. Um...whatever. Pro-Metallica forever!
Most bands are forced to spend their record companies money to produce a record and put on a tour and then it comes back out of the money made - often times leaving the band with nothing - or even owing the record company money... Not to say that's Metallicas problem, just a heads up to the ways of the RIAA.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
Most bands are forced to spend their record companies money to produce a record and put on a tour and then it comes back out of the money made - often times leaving the band with nothing - or even owing the record company money... Not to say that's Metallicas problem, just a heads up to the ways of the RIAA.

Sure, I agree with that for probably the majority of beginning bands. It's a hard road until you've made it big and the record companies can be a major pain. When/If the band is left with nothing after touring and repaying, that is where album sales come in (as long as the record company doesn't own all or most of those sales too). All I'm saying is, I wouldn't work for free, and I don't expect those guys (or gals) too either. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kind of a two-edged sword. If your band is trying to make it, Napster could help by more people hearing your stuff but...you don't get squat for it.

It is really not the same as taping CD's because the internet creates such quick worldwide distribution.

I think a small fee is the answer and that is the way they are going. People would be willing to pay a fee instead of $16 for a CD.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts