Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOST of the time people race down here, it's someone doing 45-50, and someone pulls up next to them, revs a few times, then races for 1/8th of a mile or so..

Even when we set up races on the local roads from the car shows, they never race that far...
ANYWAYS,
What can I do to my car, to make it faster for these kinds of races?

I'm going to guess that a turbo wouldn't help too much, because I'll be in 5th gear already, crusin',

soooo maybe a supercharger?
what about some N/A mods?

+rep for advice,you guys always give the best advice..

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
First piece of advice if you are doing a 45mph - 50mph roll race is not to be in 5th gear. 3rd gear should work best.

I don't understand. Are you looking for a from a "roll race" or from a "dig race"? Your title and your post are kinda contradictary.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Umm,
Turbo would help a lot actually. You just shift down. You get the engine in the right RPM range and blast off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
any FI would help alot. s/c or turbo. i just recently read something about "torque converters" not too sure what exactly it does but someone said it shaves half a second off your quarter mile. <- thats what i read. dont hold me to that. http://my.is/forums/f88/roll-call-dragon-tc-359151/

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I'm going to guess that a turbo wouldn't help too much, because I'll be in 5th gear already, crusin',

soooo maybe a supercharger?
Why wouldn't a turbo help?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah, I'm so sorry, next time I'll be more clear...

I would have to say that racing from a dig is what we do mostly... but we stop at about 70mph, so I dont need anything top end... sorry for the confusion.. I'm not much of a car person, more of a.. "security pentester" lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
uhm....you don't need anything top end?? Anything over 4k is top end Lol....So yes you do -- unless you're shifting at 3,500rpm?

·
Registered
916 Posts
;) Just messing...get a supercharger if you want power right off the line. TUrbo if from a roll ;)

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i still dont understand this thread. maybe im just old.

are you talking about racing from a stop or from a roll?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just get a small turbo setup that will spool up fast and some really fat tires. Set
the back springs pretty soft for a shit load of traction and you should be able to
beat alot of cars from a dig. 275 sections and up for the back. and maybe a
50 trim.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hes talking about starting from a roll AND a dig but both ending around 70/80mph meaning that he won't get out of 3rd.

If your cruising and someone wants to race you....DOWNSHIFT...don't just hit the gas in 5th.

For mods...just do the basics i would suggest...if your not really looking for speed don't go spending thousands on F/I.

headers/exhaust/intake/cam-gear...suspension will help too.

Your going to want top end because after 1st gear your always going to be in the upper rpm.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ty...

ps- did a little research on the site, found the "hks cam gear" is what mostly everyone likes...

looked on google, they all say its for the 01-03 is300, i have an 04... problem?
they go for ABOUT $160,

yey or ney?

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you're going to get a cam gear, get a Fidanza.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Hes talking about starting from a roll AND a dig but both ending around 70/80mph meaning that he won't get out of 3rd.

If your cruising and someone wants to race you....DOWNSHIFT...don't just hit the gas in 5th.

For mods...just do the basics i would suggest...if your not really looking for speed don't go spending thousands on F/I.

headers/exhaust/intake/cam-gear...suspension will help too.

Your going to want top end because after 1st gear your always going to be in the upper rpm.
70 - 80MPH? thats not a race. id still be in 2nd gear for christ's sake. 0-60 is just a few seconds. that race wouldnt be very fun for very long.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ud still be in 2cd gear at 70mph? lol (o_0)

do you have to go to someone to install and tune the cam, or can u do it by yourself?

·
Registered
694 Posts
70 - 80MPH? thats not a race. id still be in 2nd gear for christ's sake. 0-60 is just a few seconds. that race wouldnt be very fun for very long.
Redline in second comes at like 58mph in our cars. Gear ratio's man GEAR RATIOS!! Do you have different tranny btw and im not the one racing...hattrickinc is.

The HKS cam gears are good but make sure you get the 2nd gen because the 1st gen eats up the timing belt. All of the cam gears do the same thing. Aa far as the install...it can be done by you if you know a bit about cars. There i a thread around here somewhere that explains it. Also, it shouldn't be more than 140 for a shop to do it...make sure you retard the timing though for power. The one thread said they made max power at -6 degrees. If you don't have a dyno tune done...try not to pass 4 degrees.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts