Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
from what edgy said from his research..he said OBX/Turboeast one what best at below 3500 rpms

Reactions: Split2nd

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
edgy said:
Short runner headers? there is only one: OBX & TBKO/TE...

Long runner headers...? All the others available...Differences below to elaborate a bit on Monkeypee's post above...

Dont bother with XERD .. .MANY of us have had problems such as SHitty sounding exhaust note... Raspy tone, Burning gaskets thru at Y pipe flange. Ill fitting copper gaskets for this flange IF you ever got one ... it is a very light & very thin gauge tubed header, This is one reason why it rasps so much... thin wall tubes just resonate more effectively than the thicker walled tubes that the others use...

..it is really good for top end power tho. It makes the most of all i believe by about 4-6 HP Max......but you lose an INCREDIBLE amount of low end power & torque with that header... if you care more about Drag racing on the street daily or you constantly run the car HARD above 3800 RPM & need MAX power at 5600 Big time AND dont care if you lose a good 10-15 RWHP from 1800 rpms to 4k or so then go with Xerd new or used.... technically it does produce the most power period if it is all High RPM power you want......, the tubes are bigger in diameter & they arc out from the head farther so they constrict the flow less...(Main reasons the XERD produces more power.) but they also interfere with most ALL heatshields you might want to use...AND do not work with Any of the Superchargers available either.

I'd rather get an HP racing or Toyomoto Gen 1 or two..then you have the Pro 1 & the Megan & the Alpha werks & finally the never really seen in captivity JIC unit....

I personally tested for my own knowledge the : Toyomoto Gen 1 and the HP racing and the Xerd AND the OBX finally...

After all this testing & almost 6 months of swapping...
I chose the OBX/TE as it provided the most power below 3500 RPMs & still gave me 85% of the power the XERD provided up top... I can live much happier with out the additional 3-4 hp at 5800 rpm to have an additional 15-18 HP from 2k thru 4k rpms

Plus the OBX & virtually ALL the other headers sound SOO much better under power than ANTY of the XERD units i have used did (I had two) ... AND i tried about 9 different exhausts with the Xerd trying to kill the shitty rasp.... no luck...

peace!
here it is

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I havent tried various types of headers but I do have the obx one and im satisfied with it. It is said to give more low end power. I have some dyno charts with my setup...maybe someone wid the same mods can compare the power bands with me. Someone wid a different header, hks hiper exhaust, stock y, cam gear, tuned safc, and an injen intake. Im a manual as well. Although someone might have similar...I think there's just too many variables involved to judge....ie. - a/f ratio, cam gear setting, and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup, read that. I will give rep out as it becomes available to me, as I have given out too much in the last 24 hours as I am told. I do wanna get the OBX/TE one, but as of those listed on ebay right now, are any the same? I can't tell. THANKS!

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
No one has sufficiently proven this... there has been much speculation, but anything you read to date is just that: speculation.

Show me hard facts, not butt dynos, and I'll credit it... but keep in mind all you have available right now is opinion.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Split2nd said:
yup, read that. I will give rep out as it becomes available to me, as I have given out too much in the last 24 hours as I am told. I do wanna get the OBX/TE one, but as of those listed on ebay right now, are any the same? I can't tell. THANKS!
You can find the obx one on ebay from tuning-depot. Or you might find someone selling it for a bit cheaper then them.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. + rep given, Das I owe ya when I can give it again. So it is just speculation on the low end gains? I had a header on my old car, and all I had was top end power. Not much fun. So the TE/OBX is not positively for low end? I wanna find out before I buy. Does anyone have before/ after dyno test results to show where the gain is?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
thanks for the rep split2nd and acumenhokie...just tryin to help out..

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Split2nd said:
Thanks to all. + rep given, Das I owe ya when I can give it again. So it is just speculation on the low end gains? I had a header on my old car, and all I had was top end power. Not much fun. So the TE/OBX is not positively for low end? I wanna find out before I buy. Does anyone have before/ after dyno test results to show where the gain is?

In theory, people claim that the TE/OBX should gie better low end gains than other header designs.

This might very well be true, but it has never been empiracally tested, and any "proof" I have seen posted to date is nothing more than opinion.

Like I said, it may be true, it may not. Just know that going in.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
goohead said:
how does edgy claim lost of low end torque of the Xerd headers when this dyno shows gains over baseline??

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=106649

I believe he defines "low end" as "Under 3000 rpms" which that dyno doesn't show.

I mean... extrapolate the TQ lines 1000 rpms lower gets you to 2000... and there's such a huge diff in tq header vs no header that I have a very hard time believing that the header will actually dyno less torque anywhere from 1500-3000

And hence my comments.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i dont have physical proof, or a dyno sheet to post...but i had the toyomoto header, then went back to stock, then put the turboeast header on....car feels a lot more powerful off the line with the turboeast. also pulls better on the highway. and its a lo quieter than the toyomoto. not to say the toyomoto sucks or anything, i just think the car feel stronger with the turboeast header. i am also using the racepipe this time. and when i put the toyomoto racepipe next to the turboeast, they are literally identical in every way.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
mikefate said:
i dont have physical proof, or a dyno sheet to post...but i had the toyomoto header, then went back to stock, then put the turboeast header on....car feels a lot more powerful off the line with the turboeast. also pulls better on the highway. and its a lo quieter than the toyomoto. not to say the toyomoto sucks or anything, i just think the car feel stronger with the turboeast header. i am also using the racepipe this time. and when i put the toyomoto racepipe next to the turboeast, they are literally identical in every way.

And I had the TE header, then the stock header, and put the toyomoto on, and the car felt a lot faster off the line and pulled a lot harder up top. :rolleyes:

Qualitative guesses don't help anyone, they only create confusion. Our butt dyno's are far too suceptible to the "holy crap, I just spent $300, this better make my car different!" factor.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
dasgalloway said:
And I had the TE header, then the stock header, and put the toyomoto on, and the car felt a lot faster off the line and pulled a lot harder up top. :rolleyes:

Qualitative guesses don't help anyone, they only create confusion. Our butt dyno's are far too suceptible to the "holy crap, I just spent $300, this better make my car different!" factor.

i agree with what you said. its hard to debate without proof. im sure my car may pull harder than the same year car with same mods, and vice versa. all cars are somewhat different, and respond in different ways. i think for the difference the i/h/e makes, it isnt worth the time or effort to argue. regardless which make you go with, gains are going to be minimal. if you want more power, save the 1000 you spend on n/a mods and go with a boosted setup for an additional 2000 or whatever you work out.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
+ rep to those who replied. Thank you for making me a more informed .netter.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dasgalloway said:

So are you saying that the Toyo made more of a difference than the TE one?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
i have the HP racing (toyomoto) header right now...

i had the full header with a joe z intake/trd combo and stock b pipe and stock exhaust... the combo was great... definately a big jump in power over stock, and still sounded pretty quiet.. only down side was the smell from no cats..

currently running the joe z/trd and HP racing front section, stock y and stock b pipes, and an HKS hiper = much meaner sound, definately from exhaust, and the pull is still nice.. smell is almost wiped out.

i think the fit is pretty good and i can definately feel something more than just the stock header.. so im happy with my mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts