Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just picked up my new-to-me 2001 IS300 and need to deal with some burnt out bulbs. When I owned my former 2003 IS300 years ago I bought a really nice rear LED 'system' off eBay that was fairly expensive and was really a significant bulb mod, meaning it went above and beyond simple small bulbs at the time. I tried to find it again on eBay but was unable to, and my eBay buying history only goes back to 2017 and it appears I bought it before that point in time as it's not listed on my previous purchases.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I'm including the only reference photos I have of when I installed it on my car, so any help is definitely appreciated. I combed through my old GMAIL e-mails and it came from a company called 'ledstores' on eBay, but I see that they are no longer selling any products. I also confirmed I bought the bulbs in October of 2013 so it has been quite some time. I'm sure there are other solutions available 6 years later, but I really want something high quality...so that is really the advice I'm looking for. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up my new-to-me 2001 IS300 and need to deal with some burnt out bulbs. When I owned my former 2003 IS300 years ago I bought a really nice rear LED 'system' off eBay that was fairly expensive and was really a significant bulb mod, meaning it went above and beyond simple small bulbs at the time. I tried to find it again on eBay but was unable to, and my eBay buying history only goes back to 2017 and it appears I bought it before that point in time as it's not listed on my previous purchases.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I'm including the only reference photos I have of when I installed it on my car, so any help is definitely appreciated. I combed through my old GMAIL e-mails and it came from a company called 'ledstores' on eBay, but I see that they are no longer selling any products. I also confirmed I bought the bulbs in October of 2013 so it has been quite some time. I'm sure there are other solutions available 6 years later, but I really want something high quality...so that is really the advice I'm looking for. Thanks a ton!
Hey all,

Hey all,

Hey all,

Hey all,

did u try goggling it

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm fairly sure that I did find them just by using the same search string on eBay...nice by-product of doing all that research I suppose. :)

Prices are so much lower now on them compared to the last time I bought them. Good for me!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you nailed it 01 SolarYellow, and to TobiasSing's (what's up FaceBook bud?) point, they were so much more expensive. I literally bought a set off eBay last night for about $11 shipped, which is hilarious to me considering I was the guy spending $50 on them last time around. In my mind they were much more high end back then, but obviously times have moved on. I'll report back how they work for me, but I remember being suitably impressed by the lighting output back then.

·
Mr. Roo
9,358 Posts
Yes, you nailed it 01 SolarYellow, and to TobiasSing's (what's up FaceBook bud?) point, they were so much more expensive. I literally bought a set off eBay last night for about $11 shipped, which is hilarious to me considering I was the guy spending $50 on them last time around. In my mind they were much more high end back then, but obviously times have moved on. I'll report back how they work for me, but I remember being suitably impressed by the lighting output back then.
yeah I don't go on FB anymore haha, eh. Let us know how the lights look compared to the previous ones. I liked the color of the old ones, very white with no blue or yellow, but they were too bright. Since then, I've seen them of all variations of white, so I didn't want to try my luck with them again and just used some #194 Philips LEDs that worked much better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I don't go on FB anymore haha, eh. Let us know how the lights look compared to the previous ones. I liked the color of the old ones, very white with no blue or yellow, but they were too bright. Since then, I've seen them of all variations of white, so I didn't want to try my luck with them again and just used some #194 Philips LEDs that worked much better.
I'll keep you posted. I'm definitely eager to see if they are equivalent to the ones I had so long ago, which definitely impressed me. At least at the price points we are at now it's a cheap and easy experiment.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I had the time and opportunity to swap these bulbs over and am very impressed with them, just as I recall being back in 2013. I've included a few before, during, and after shots so you can see them. Again, this literally cost me about $11, and was pretty easy to do as I watched a couple YouTube videos first to remind myself how to disassemble the trunk and trim pieces.

Please pardon the dirty car. This one sleeps outside of my garage, driven in nearly all conditions, and hasn't been washed in a while. It was raining on me the entire time I was working on it today too.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, I don't remember the panel of LEDs being at such an angle like that. Looks like it still works great! Nice white color
Yeah, I don't recall that angle either, but it works and does look good. I'll see it in the dark for the first time this morning when I take the car to work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In this case I'll give it a try I just don't like it's a effort to even change these bulbs..
You know it's honestly not as involved or difficult as I remembered. The hardest part for me this time around was the minor disassembly of the emergency trunk release (as I didn't want to break anything), but other than that it was truly a 15 minute job. I highly recommend using premium LED replacements just to make it worth your while, and they really don't cost anything anymore. Even if mine only last a year (I'm sure we can all agree they should last far longer than that) I won't cry over the price I paid for them and the result they give.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts