Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have found that not many laptops (like mine) can connect to the haltech. So I would like to know what laptops people are using to get into haltech, AEM and all those the programs. Brands, models etc. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
well it really doesnt depend on the laptop brand.
its the usb/serial com port settings and the actual usb to serial adapter

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use an older dell to get the job done. It has a serial onboard which is nice and I only paid about 300 bucks for the whole thing. Eeeeeeeeeebay

Merry Chrstmas

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I had connectivity issues, but research usually yeilds a good USB adapter and how to change the settings for a better connection.

I think Ki11bert has it by the nuts though, a nice cheap "for tuning only" computer would be nice. I'd go for a small one (my laptop is huge, very combursome in a car) and a good upgraded battery (I have an inverter, but I find myself un-plugging the computer ofter to get around).

Small/compact, good battery, and a good inverter is good for starters IMO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not to thread jack, but doesnt the OS have something to do with it to (some working better than others)?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why doesnt yours work with the haltech? no usb port?
I have a USB port. 4 to be exact. But non work.

well it really doesnt depend on the laptop brand.
its the usb/serial com port settings and the actual usb to serial adapter
I have the adapter and the CD installed but i dont know how to change the com port settings or if i could.

Thanks for the help and replies.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use an older dell to get the job done. It has a serial onboard which is nice and I only paid about 300 bucks for the whole thing. Eeeeeeeeeebay

Merry Chrstmas
Wish one would that be.

Merry Christmas to you too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i havent used the haltech software before but have you checked to see if it lets you choose which com port to use? you might have the wrong one selected its worth a try.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried that too but no luck

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I tried that too but no luck
what up dave? happy holidays to ya!!! getting the haltech software to work with usb ports is a pain in the ass, try com port 4 that worked for me, but I have to tell ya it only worked once, I have a newer comp from 2006 and I had to get a good usb serial port adapter(the adpter has software so that it would connect properly) your BEST bet is to get an older style laptop that runs windows 95 or 98, something real simple that has a serial port, and use that laptop for tunning only...simpler is better with that,(also when I had connection issues, I called haletch USA and spoke with one of the techs directly)( I dont have the number off hand) (killbert said it best, ebay)

it dosnet really matter which type of laptop, as long as it has a cd drive to install the haltech software and a serial port already on the computer to connect

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
i have a haltech f10x with a usb to serial connector running on a small dell 700m and i never have any problems.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Any laptop works. My opinion is stay away from the USB to serial adapters. Those are a hit or miss...mostly misses. Best thing to get if you don't have a serial port is a PCMCIA serial card.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what up dave? happy holidays to ya!!! getting the haltech software to work with usb ports is a pain in the ass, try com port 4 that worked for me, but I have to tell ya it only worked once, I have a newer comp from 2006 and I had to get a good usb serial port adapter(the adpter has software so that it would connect properly) your BEST bet is to get an older style laptop that runs windows 95 or 98, something real simple that has a serial port, and use that laptop for tunning only...simpler is better with that,(also when I had connection issues, I called haletch USA and spoke with one of the techs directly)( I dont have the number off hand) (killbert said it best, ebay)

it dosnet really matter which type of laptop, as long as it has a cd drive to install the haltech software and a serial port already on the computer to connect
Whats up Josh. Reason I would prefer a new windows is to access my dads EMS and tranny computer along with my haltch and also AEM which i am probably switching to. But i guess it would hurt to get a $100-$200 laptop to get things done for now.

Any laptop works. My opinion is stay away from the USB to serial adapters. Those are a hit or miss...mostly misses. Best thing to get if you don't have a serial port is a PCMCIA serial card.
I'll check that out

Thanks for te help everyone.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
sony UX FTW!!!

i have had good luck with USB to serial adapters, the sony UX does not support pcmcia, but i have never needed it. i love it!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm building an entertainment center now that has a touchscreen in the dash hooked up to a PC in the trunk. Now I can tune without having to lean over all the time.. yay

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I'm building an entertainment center now that has a touchscreen in the dash hooked up to a PC in the trunk. Now I can tune without having to lean over all the time.. yay
Sick. Always wanted a setup like that.

Becuase I had to travel around for a while, I have cingulars broad band on my laptop. That coupled with a good computer in the car, sheesh man the screen could replace most all gauges, navigation, internet, and all that other stuff. Awesome.

The MS has a pretty cool touch screen display I will run in the OE Navi location- vid-
YouTube - LCDash talking to MegaSquirt

But if money permitted a computer /w touchscreen with my broadband and a wireless keyboard would be tops.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
that is super awesome, any way we can get a sneak peak pic ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts