Lexus IS Forum banner

Best Front Strut Bar?

15K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  mookie 
#1 ·
Could I get some reccomendations regarding the best front strut bar? Which is better aluminium or carbon fibre? Do I have to take the plastic engine cover off to use it? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
imo if your more into performance you will get anything to make your car stiff as a rock for better handling. so think about it yourself... if you buy a $300 strut bar and then you compare to the $30 strut bar that you buy off ebay which will probably perform the same way as the $300 strut bar. which would you rather buy? this is just an example dude so dont take it to hard I just learned by trying it myself. its really all up to you and how much you wanna spend

#5 · (Edited)
I want to add to the above statement. It's how much you wanna spend, functionality, and how pretty you want your engine bay to look. ;)

Here is mine from 3 years ago:
JIC FSTB

reference: http://my.is/forums/f87/if-does-fit-you-must-acquit-269018/

This is 1 year ago:

Overall, I am happy with my JIC STB and I would recommend it to you. I wanted to keep my plastic engine cover and this is one of the reason why I chose JIC - for looks & functionality. Although, there is a "little" rubbing on the hood insulation. No biggie...

#8 ·
let's say..... 350 limit. i don't care how my engine bay looks, i only care about the performance. with that in mind could you guys "steer" me towards one or another please?
The best S/B I have seen is the Area 51 brace.

That thing would work on a mack truck it is so over engineered!

The problem is, they don't make them anymore, and as soon as they pop up on the forums for sale they are snapped up :rolleyes:

My 2nd choice would be a PLP Engine brace, these are a nice looking brace and very sturdy, but once again are no longer made for our cars, try and get one pop up in the 2nd hand marketplace on the forums here.

Other then that the JIC seesm to be a popular choice, its cheap, and clears the USDM 2JZGE

#16 ·
That is beautiful! I love how rear strut bars look in the trunk. Brand is not a factor unless you car is built for racing with high horse power. If its daily driven, get a generic strut bar from ebay like everyone mentioned.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Looks like a heatshield.;)

Another thing worthy of mention regarding STB's is clearance for TEIN EDFC motors. Which one's can work with the motors and which one's can't? Rhetorical question, search function should reveal those answers..

Then there's preload adjustment. Which one's have the ability, and which one's don't? Any STB's come in a triangular design to further brace the strut towers to the firewall?

Reactions: Tigger
#17 ·
if you're willing to spend 350 on a strut tower bar, just get a cage made or buy a 4 point cage. yes a strut tower bar helps tie the front together. Is there a huge difference between an ebay one and a A51 one, no. There is a difference, however i'm not too sure you'd notice.

#18 ·
i would get TRD or CUSCO and JIC strut bars if you want quality

#19 ·
Aren't the TRD Front strut braces troublesome to fit to clear the 2JZGE considering they are designed for the altezza with the smaller 3SGE?!?

#21 ·
essentially a strut bar is a metal rod holding together both ends of the car. so keeping that in mind, get the one that you like the most, but dont let a slight price difference or whatever make you lose sleep. but also dont go to ebay and buy one for 10 bucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.