Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this was discussed before. What is the best/reasonable exhaust to get among the ones that don't sound like a lawn mower. Does Toyomoto really increase the HP by 15, how does it sound, and how much?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I'm trying to decide between Borla and L-Tuned for my GS. I know, we've touched on this before and somebody asked a good question: Does anybody have audio to compare the two. And 15 hp does not sound outrageous at all. I've heard 5-7% hp increase is average.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
If it was me I would add the torque converter from www.swift-racing.com and leave the exhausts alone. I know that the current set up is pretty tame, but I think the engine note more than makes up for that..

Eric...

·
Registered
571 Posts
it's usually weird to see good hp increases with exhaust only. Fullest hp gain usuaully comes with exhuast and intake combo. That really frees up some air for the engine.

I'd stick with L-tuned. Well, just don't get anything from pepboys and if exhaust is only $200, there's something wrong with it.

I would wait for HKS, Greddy, Tananbe, etc to join the list. Those should be niceeee.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Eric, I agree the torque converter might be the best way to go but damn, I can't even hear my car. I would just like a little dull growl, not much. I wonder who could install that torque converter here in Dallas.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
After having owned a GS400 for two years, I never missed the drone that I would had if I used an aftermarket exhaust because of the "music to my ears engine note." I think adding an aftermarket exhaust to the GS would take away from the beauty of Lexus. The tomb quiet cabin, due to insulated cabin, low drag co-efficiency, and quiet exhausts. Lexus intended the music to come from the engine and not the noise polution coming from exhaust... Low restrictive exhausts with nice engine notes are more fitting for sports cars in my opinion and not Lexus..
Eric..

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Fair enough. Perhaps my impression of what the Borla or L-Tuned exhaust will sound like is mistaken. Believe me, I don't want much of a difference, yet, I would like to hear something. Think 928.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
Believe me, I don't want much of a difference, yet, I would like to hear something.
That's part of the beauty...After your torque converter installation you line up at a stop light next to a Mustang GT and as you guys take off with his car sounding like it's making a BIG FUSS, you easily beat him in your GS400 sounding like it's not breaking a sweat with its effortless power (with your stock exhausts)
Eric....

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you talking about the Swift-Racing ECU/Intake Systems? Level 1 or 2.

OT: Reading Comprehension?!? Come' mierda y muere!!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No, but I have also considered that as well. I would probably only consider the Level 2. Stinkin' stout!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by PMD911:
Are you talking about the Swift-Racing ECU/Intake Systems? Level 1 or 2.

OT: Reading Comprehension?!? Come' mierda y muere!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Eric, did you ever get the torque converter for your GS400? I would be very interested to hear about what exactly it changes (hp, torque, fuel economy, smoothness), and how much of a difference it actually makes.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
0-60 and 1/4 in 0.5 to 0.75 seconds faster.

Originally posted by Nate:
Eric, did you ever get the torque converter for your GS400? I would be very interested to hear about what exactly it changes (hp, torque, fuel economy, smoothness), and how much of a difference it actually makes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
0-60 and 1/4 in 0.5 to 0.75 seconds faster.

Yeah, I looked at the website, but I understand that there has to be tradeoff somewhere for the added performance. I'd actually like it to make the cars a little less smooth, at least under throttle. I just doubt that performance gains of that amount could be done without "losing" something, and was curious as to what it was. And I'd be interested to know what % increases show up on Dynos.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I think if you guys Email Muhammad (swift racing) he should be able to tell you the advantages & trade-offs with his torque converter....
Eric...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Eric's right. Muhammad is very prompt with his replies. You gotta know it will act jumpier, but isn't that the point? I would hazard a guess as the difference between normal mode and power for the tranny.

Originally posted by EricK:
I think if you guys Email Muhammad (swift racing) he should be able to tell you the advantages & trade-offs with his torque converter....
Eric...

[This message has been edited by brad (edited November 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
this has been posted a milltion times..but us in the performance forum have all agreed that no aftermarket intake/exhaust has proved a significant increase in performance...the rmm intake actually pull .4 seconds from the track between me and some other dude at sears.....

honestly..i would wait till TRD comes out with their gear....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
nemesiss
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing