Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 IS 350 and I love it. I want to get a aftermarket exaust for it and cold air intake. Where is the best place and what kind should I buy and what sounds the best. Also I wanted to get a spoiler pre painted with the 3m tape or maybe drill on what is best. Thanks for the input. Evan

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey bro, congrats on the purchase and welcome! Right now if you want the best Exhaust( as in the most WHP) your looking at a LMS or Megan but the Tanabe(axle back) is also very popular but doesn't produce as much WHP as the other two. As for Intakes, K&N is the most popular for the sound but its gains I'm still skeptic about. Most likely I'd go with the Joe Z intake pipe because it retains the stock Cold Air box.

Happy Modding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As mentioned,the JoeZ because you use the original airbox which lets in colder air than a cone filter end intake which draws hot engine bay air.
The intake and a exhaust go well together.
The JoeZ's are on backorder.I'm waiting to purchase one.
I went with the Tanabe and will go for the JoeZ because I don't want any loud systems on my Lexus.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i was looking into a k&n, now that i read that, im a little confused, your better off staying with your stock air box?? wouldnt u get almost the identical air if u used a whole new setup (cone filter and ss piping) and kept the moulded plastic piece that vents air from the grill to where your new cone filter would be...?? i kno its not my topic but i was reading and now im curious ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
as if i didnt kno that, my question is how come you get colder air using your stock airbox AS OPPOSED to ss piping and cone filter?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
as if i didnt kno that, my question is how come you get colder air using your stock airbox AS OPPOSED to ss piping and cone filter?
Because the cone filter is wide open to the hot under-hood air and the stock airbox is sucking cold air from the intake duct in front of the car.

The bone stock IS intake system already provides more air than the engine is capable of using, so -more- air will add 0 performance (hence a huge honking cone filter won't help).

Cold air is better than hot though, so stick with the stock box.

The Joe Z replaces the stock intake hose with a smoother path, while keeping the stock airbox, and it's also 100-200% cheaper than most of the other available intakes that give you hotter air with no other benefit besides more noise.

·
Registered
575 Posts
lol kk thanks + rep

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Not if u keep the cone inside a heat shield lamo !
At which point, assuming you can get a heat shield that does as good a job as the factory airbox, you now have a system that costs several times what the Joe Z does, and produces exactly the same power gain.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey I give you neg reps because everyone was doing it.

BTW you should get a chrome intake and exhaust tip to match your rims and grill

·
Registered
575 Posts
i finally went with the injen intake, horsepower gains, as with any intake, are not apparent, but it sounds great, and sure looks great with the black finish, much better than the ugly plastic box lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Because the cone filter is wide open to the hot under-hood air and the stock airbox is sucking cold air from the intake duct in front of the car.

The bone stock IS intake system already provides more air than the engine is capable of using, so -more- air will add 0 performance (hence a huge honking cone filter won't help).

Cold air is better than hot though, so stick with the stock box.

The Joe Z replaces the stock intake hose with a smoother path, while keeping the stock airbox, and it's also 100-200% cheaper than most of the other available intakes that give you hotter air with no other benefit besides more noise.

Hey, i read the post and have a question, especially for pros like you =P, how much performance benefits will Joe Z add to car compared to a K&N, or compared to a Fujita? Like HP wise?

Joe Z 's sound, is there no difference in sound after installing Joe Z or just not as audible compared to Fujita.

Im debating between fujita, joe z and K&N. and also, is there lifespans on these air intakes? i saw a post earlier and it said selling air intake, under 5000. what does the 5000 exactly mean? km?

sorry if i sound dumb, im new is250 owner and searching everywhere to learn more. =P
thx for help and anyone else too !

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hey, i read the post and have a question, especially for pros like you =P, how much performance benefits will Joe Z add to car compared to a K&N, or compared to a Fujita? Like HP wise?
The Joe Z adds about 5 hp. That's the most you're going to get from an intake, and anyone (K&N for example) claiming significantly higher #s is lying to you.

The short-ram will probably produce less average hp (since they're generally ingesting hotter air) but unfortunately a dyno isn't the best model for testing this.

(a dyno tests power produced while standing still, often with your hood open and a fan blowing on the engine bay... an intake operates both standing still and in motion, with a closed hood and only "natural" airflow).

None of the intakes will produce enough hp to make an honestly noticable difference... but the Joe Z will produce the most hp on average, and costs the least.

Joe Z 's sound, is there no difference in sound after installing Joe Z or just not as audible compared to Fujita.
There'll be very little difference, though some... if you want more then cut the lower airbox to look like the F-sport lower airbox.

Im debating between fujita, joe z and K&N. and also, is there lifespans on these air intakes? i saw a post earlier and it said selling air intake, under 5000. what does the 5000 exactly mean? km?

sorry if i sound dumb, im new is250 owner and searching everywhere to learn more. =P
thx for help and anyone else too !
Other than when you need to change or clean the filter (depending if it's reusable or not) there's no "lifespan" involved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts