Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best air filter to buy that is just a drop in design. I'm not thinking about changing the whole air intake... I'm just hoping for a filter shaped like the stock one that would allow more air. It doesn't have to be re-useable.

I checked Fram's site for the Air Hog's... but they're not made for our cars. I see K&N has one... anybody have success with that? I'm a bit worried about the oil.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
These are the 3 that I could think of right now. TRD & PLP drop in air filters, OEM is non reusable. What is there to worry about the oil, put the right amount and clean the excess oil off with a cloth. I've been using the PLP one for almost 4 yrs now, knock on wood no issues.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMPRIMIS said:
why not search since people beat this to death?

TRD/PLP/AFE
Because if you don't know what exact thread you are looking for... a serach can produce hundreds of results that you then hafta sort through and often not find what you were looking for in the first place. It's much easier just to ask.

I searched... but most threads I looked at were for modified air intakes... not just a drop in filter.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gray Rider said:
These are the 3 that I could think of right now. TRD & PLP drop in air filters, OEM is non reusable. What is there to worry about the oil, put the right amount and clean the excess oil off with a cloth. I've been using the PLP one for almost 4 yrs now, know on wood no issues.
Hmm... do any of those filters require grease around the edges like the K&N one?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Crester said:
Because if you don't know what exact thread you are looking for... a serach can produce hundreds of results that you then hafta sort through often not find what you were looking for in the first place. It's much easier just to ask.

I searched... but most threads I looked at were for modified air intakes... not just a drop in filter.

Also posting in the correct "go fast" section of the site would have helped

Then DAS would have just locked it as well, like he did the other one like this a couple days ago

and yes the filters are pre-oiled

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... you got me there on the Go Fast section. I should have posted in there.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Crester said:
Ok... you got me there on the Go Fast section. I should have posted in there.

:lol:

Actually you are missing the point, if it was posted in that forum it would have been locked

Das did it the other day, exact question

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anybody knows where to get TRD air filters in TORONTO... please let me know. I've seen TRD booths at autoshows in Toronto... but the dealers don't seem to carry them.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Crester said:
If anybody knows where to get TRD air filters in TORONTO... please let me know. I've seen TRD booths at autoshows in Toronto... but the dealers don't seem to carry them.

Contact Carson Toyota they ship

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye Carumba... the regular Lexus air filter is CDN$42... while the TRD one is CDN$100 + delivery. :(

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Blitz!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Crester said:
Hmm... do any of those filters require grease around the edges like the K&N one?
Drop in air filters, no oil needed (non reusable): OEM and TRD.

Drop in air filters, oil needed (reusable) PLP and TRD-hi flow.

Drop in air filter, no oil needed and reusable...Tom's

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Drop in air filters, no oil needed (non reusable): OEM and TRD Japan and Blitz

Drop in air filters, oil needed (reusable) PLP and TRD-hi flow

Drop in air filter, no oil needed and reusable...Tom's

1 - 20 of 30 Posts