Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need great speakers up front. I want some components in my doors that kick out midbass that kills and highs that soothe. Know what I mean????

I listen to mostly hip-hop (the abstract.... not the commercial) and modern acoustic music. I'm also a musician and a singer, so I'm a sound nut.... I'm picky as hell about all of my audio shit... home and car.

I've read comparisons and articles and sat in numerous show cars and I still can't decide though.... So I need a little help. I'm going to run 6.5" components in the stock locations.... I want premium sound.... I'll spend from $350-$700 on my components. I also can't modify (permanently) any part of my car (it's a lease) so the to FIT in the stock locations.

This is what I've considered... are these good???? Are there any better?

Focal Utopia 165W
Dynaudio System 240GT
Image Dynamics Chameleon
MB Quart QSD
MB Quart QM
Focal 165K2
Rainbow Pro Series
Audio Development AD600
CDT Phase Perfect
CDT EuroSport
Fosgate Fanatic Q
Diamond Audio Hex Series

How are these speakers? Do any speakers stand out in this price range as the best????

Any help will be much appreciated.

:chill:

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Focal with good amount of power and they wil rock! I have the Utops for my front stage and the mid bass kicks. I also sound deadened the shit out of the doors. The tweeter will fit behind the factory grille.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't planning on using sound deadening material..... is that stuff really helpful???

I had a buddy tell me about it and he made it sound like a pain in the ass to deal with.... but I dunno. It's cheap enough for me (eBay).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Focal Utopia rock. I had them in my maxima woo hoo what a joy it was.
Sound deadening material realy works. I havent done it in my maxima but i have seen/heard systems with it. Just my .02$

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I seem to hear from everybody..... whenever I ask about speakers......

Utopia's are always the highest recommended.

But......

Ampman audio talks shit about them all day long saying that they sound like crap and are overrated. They always tell me to get the Audio Development AD600 speakers..... of course I know nothing about these.

Also..... the utopia mids seems a little deep..... are they too deep???? Or can I mount them easily in the factory spots.

And is 125W per side enough power????/ I have a Soundstream 502 for my fronts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OK, after reading the list you have, I will say this. The Utopias are excelent. The Camelions are also good. The Dynaudio's are super, very tough to decide from the dynaudio or the utopias, the diamonds are also great sounding. If I had my choice i'd do it like this...

1: Focals or Dynaudios but they are pricecy
2: Diamonds, little cheaper
3: Image Camelions, GREAT bang for the buck. AWSOME mid bass driver.

www.tmrmzine.com

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Not jus cause I am sponsored by Diamond Audio.....but Ill put my Diamonds up against most boys Focal system ANY day....Diamond is up there on price but damn very hard to beat on sound quality...My vehicle has won numerous sound quality competions only losing once to a MB Quart system, but went on later to upgrade my amps, add some dynamat and he was no problem at the next comp....it really is what type of sound you like...find some companies local that sell these and listen to see if they are your style speaker...Not sayin Focal is junk cause they are FAR!! from it with the right setup they are prolly one of the best out there....but there are several others that can give them an ass kickin once in a while...Jus my .02 cents
-Matt

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The Focals eat the Diamonds up in Midbass. Trust me I have both in my car. The Diamond tweet(Silk dome) is a little sweeter.

The Image tweeters require slight modification to fit and the Diamond tweeters require a lot. The Image midbass are the best of the group as its a serious midbass driver, but its a little over dominating at times. Ampman? Another site with preferences is all. The Focal's are awesome, but over-priced. Thats what happens when you have hand serial #'d and hand crafted speakers. The Dyns are nice, but where are you going to fit the tweeter! Not in the factory location.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Well the MB quarts will give you in my opinion the best high's I would go with the Focals for mid bass. My personal preference are the MB's they hit very high frequencies (up to 40KHz) and have very clear sound, some times you can hear things you were not supposed to. like the drum sticks hitting the side of the drums which is a sound beyond what some speakers will give you.

·
Registered
820 Posts
1) Focal Utopia (Very Loud / Clean)
2) MB QM (Very Loud / CRISP)

My buddy is running the QM MB Quart with the same amp i have for sale (NO BULLSHIT, Honestly PPI PCI 4400.2 this is not an advertisement) the sounded fucking clean clean clean crisp.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Hey Carbon, the human ear can't hear anything past 20khz, so response up to 40khz is useless, although kind of technically cool. I'm just saying that response that high shouldn't affect what you actially hear from the speaker. Sorry for getting off-topic.....................

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Dynaudio...hands down. Make sure that they fit, though. I have read a lot of threads here and have yet to see or hear of a Dynaudio setup in an IS300.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Thats what they say, but go listen to them and you will see what i mean. ;)

xencloud said:
Hey Carbon, the human ear can't hear anything past 20khz, so response up to 40khz is useless, although kind of technically cool. I'm just saying that response that high shouldn't affect what you actially hear from the speaker. Sorry for getting off-topic.....................

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok check this out..... what if I put Utopias in front and bought some of the image dynamics midranges (they sell the ones from the chameleon setup separately) and put them in my rear deck and powered them with my deck (pioneer deh-p8400mp).

Or would it sound better to run utopias up front with focal 690HCs in the rear (powered by all four channels of the deck).

BTW - I'm running 125rms per side up front.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
IS300included said:
Ok check this out..... what if I put Utopias in front and bought some of the image dynamics midranges (they sell the ones from the chameleon setup separately) and put them in my rear deck and powered them with my deck (pioneer deh-p8400mp).

Or would it sound better to run utopias up front with focal 690HCs in the rear (powered by all four channels of the deck).

BTW - I'm running 125rms per side up front.
DO NOT use the decks power as you will be disappointed.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't really afford to run another amp to my rears. I'm on a pretty tight budget.

I think the 690HCs powered by the deck deck will be allright for rear fill.... at least temporarilly..... eventually.... I want to get another soundstream 502 (or a 302) and run it to some good components in the rear.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Am I the only one who can't get enough of hertz speakers and audison amps :D

I'm sooo anxious. Can't wait til Sunday, I'm getting a vrx 2.250 and the Hertz hsk 1600

Shits gonna be BANGIN'

www.audison.com

You might wanna check these speakers out :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
20 Participants
AD_LIB
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing