Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Well, I'd love to spend the money and do it right, but my budget won't flex right now. I really want to get an aftermarket CD/MP3 player, and if I do that, it seems like it would be too much trouble to keep everything else. Plus, I've heard the stock stuff sounds like crap anyway compared to even cheap aftermarket stuffs. SOOOOOOO.......

What brands of speakers to you guys recemmend that are pretty cheap? I mean, have you guys ever heard some cheap brand, and been like, "Wow, that's better than I expected for a cheap POS speaker." I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm looking for a comp. set and a pair of 6x9's. I'd like a pair of 6x9's that have decent bass response if possible, since that's what they'd primarily be used for. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
903 Posts
the is300? the stock speakers are good, not the best stocks ive ever heard but ther pretty damn good. Aftermarket is better depending on how much money you want to spend as well. infinity kappas for the rears would produce a good amt of bass. but i'm not sure what you mean by cheap but good.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Paki_Sleepa said:
the is300? the stock speakers are good, not the best stocks ive ever heard but ther pretty damn good. Aftermarket is better depending on how much money you want to spend as well. infinity kappas for the rears would produce a good amt of bass. but i'm not sure what you mean by cheap but good.
Because of the way the IS stereo is set up, once you touch one part of the system, the rest has to be delt w/ as well. Stock speakers will sound like ass w/ an A-Market head but fact speakers.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Anyone other brands to consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
xencloud said:
Hello all! Well, I'd love to spend the money and do it right, but my budget won't flex right now. I really want to get an aftermarket CD/MP3 player, and if I do that, it seems like it would be too much trouble to keep everything else. Plus, I've heard the stock stuff sounds like crap anyway compared to even cheap aftermarket stuffs. SOOOOOOO.......

What brands of speakers to you guys recemmend that are pretty cheap? I mean, have you guys ever heard some cheap brand, and been like, "Wow, that's better than I expected for a cheap POS speaker." I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm looking for a comp. set and a pair of 6x9's. I'd like a pair of 6x9's that have decent bass response if possible, since that's what they'd primarily be used for. Thanks for any info!
Give us a price range first...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$200 or less for comps. $100 max for 6x9's......Thanks for any suggestions!

·
8,849 Posts
I just got Infiniti Kappas 6x9 3way speakers installed. They are relatively inexpensive - $130. The difference is very noticeable.
The problems I ran into were drilling holes in the rear deck (tricky) and the fact that the speakers are bigger in size and get in the way of trunk levers. Good ol' Dremel helped out a bit on the speaker fitment issue, as their body is made of plastic, a very easy to work with material.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
CharlieD06 said:
Paki_Sleepa said:
Because of the way the IS stereo is set up, once you touch one part of the system, the rest has to be delt w/ as well. Stock speakers will sound like ass w/ an A-Market head but fact speakers.
The only thing you can change out and keep everything else stock are the front speakers. But, the sound improvment is minimal if you stick with the stock amp.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
LEX5SPDIS300 said:
Diamond Audio
LOVE DA but they're right, DA isn't cheap.

As for 6 x 9s, friend of mine had a set of Alpine 6 x 9s in his rear deck w/40w going to em. They bassed pretty well coming from a 6 x 9.

Also, I knew of a guy that competed with MBQ coax's and was winning. For a set of $200 components, I think you'd get what you paid for (IMO) but going for a high end coax will sound pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts