Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
In other words, Dextron II without the Toyota Logo on front.
Its more of a hyper Dexron III and not II with its "unique" additive package. Hence I wouldn't mess around by trying to save few $$$ by buying off the shelf stuff when you can pick it up at your Local Toyota Dealer for $2 more per quart. 2.3quarts needed for drain and fill on the IS300.

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
Retail is $5.17/qt on Type IV ATF from Toyota, if you go into a dealer and they tell you more ask "Is that the matrix price, because I thought retail was $5.17?" And they 99.9% will just give it to you for retail not their marked up matrix price...

Signed, your friendly local service adviser...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Retail is $5.17/qt on Type IV ATF from Toyota, if you go into a dealer and they tell you more ask "Is that the matrix price, because I thought retail was $5.17?" And they 99.9% will just give it to you for retail not their marked up matrix price...

Signed, your friendly local service adviser...
Thanks Tom, wish I knew that before I got :rocket: last time I got fluid at $9 a quart, thought it was crazy but still ended up buying it. I'm do for trans drain and fill soon so I will test it out and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Toyota Type T iv is one of the best ATF's in the market.

As it compares to others - it out performs every coventional ATF in the market vastly.
(ATF+3, ATF+4, Mercon, Mercon V, Dexron 2, Dexron 3H).

It is extremely close to Toyota WS, but lacks 1 point in shear stability and has the exact same Friction control, Brookfield test scores, Shear stability, Oxidation stability, wear protection numbers.

It is the very reason why GM private labels Type T iv for some of their ATF requirements.

Be assured this is the best ATF for your car. Newer full synthetic ATF fluids (like Toyota WS) have been developed over the years, are extremely thin in viscosity (and intended for 6 speed transmissions).

...mind you other ATF's used, will probably cause some shift problems anyways, beacuse they lack the exacting properties of Toyota Type Tiv.

Never substitute any product in favor of Type Tiv.

Digger08

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
there are some guys on here that use mercon, but i wouldnt do it personally. i heard srt and pfs both do in the race cars, but they also have different transmissions. i had a trans i used the off shelf stuff in, and it went caput in 180 miles. what a piss off. the new one uses only toyota fluid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.