Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ’03 e-shift with just under 24,000 miles on it. Recently, when I start up my car, I notice a somewhat high pitched noise coming from the front under the hood. It sounds like it’s a belt of some kind, because when I shift into reverse to back out of my parking spot, the pitch gets just slightly lower and the “chirping” kind of sound that it makes slows slightly. I don’t know too much about the mechanical stuff of the car, but it sure sounds like it’s a belt of some kind. Is this normal for a car with less than 24,000?

I don’t wait long at all for the engine to heat up before I start driving, so I can’t tell one way or the other if it does away after the engine heats up, because I’m on the freeway in 5 minutes. However, before I get on a main road, if it’s quiet enough when I pull up to a stop sign or stoplight, I can hear the chirping at the beginning of my commute after I leave the parking garage (I can hear it much easier in the garage obviously too).

Let’s see…more background info that might be of any help. I just do normal driving, no auto-x or anything like that. Obviously I have a little fun every now and then on freeway exit/on ramps and all, but nothing crazy. I did just completed a road trip from Los Angeles to St. Louis however as I relocated jobs. Not sure if that’ll do anything or put anymore abnormal stress on the car. Took 5 days, stopped in some National Parks in Utah on the way out, otherwise did 75 or so consistently on the highway. I was on paved roads the whole time.

I think that’s about it. I’m sure this is something common and I’m rambling on and on here for no reason. Any cost/warranty coverage if it’s a simple belt problem? Thanks.

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
If it's your belts, they either have to be adjusted or replaced. Wear and tear item (maintenace) coverage for 12/12. Not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My belt does the same exact thing. Only when the car is cold and I first start it up. My belt is in decent condition, so I will just deal with the noise. It is not very loud.

·
Registered
106 Posts
May be belt tensioner? I used to have a Matrix XRS and got a probelm with squeaking belt also. The dealer replaced the tensioner under warranty then the problem goes away. I dont know if that is a common problem in IS. You may want to check that out with dealer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Probably the serpentine belt, which runs all of the the accessories. My '01 started making noise at around 50k miles, and seems to only be audible after the car has been wet or it is overly humid.

The dealer (Plaza in STL) applied some belt lube, which is a total joke. It silenced the belt for maybe 3 days, now it is back to normal. I was quoted $130 from Plaza for a replacement, but it can be done cheaper if you do it yourself. I wouldn't worry about anything bad coming from this, other than an annoying noise. The belt should last to at least 60k (not sure on the exact spec).

BTW- if you take your car to a dealer, go to Plaza. They have the best prices around, from what I've noticed.

·
Registered
833 Posts
oh damn, my car only has 21k miles, but when i first start the car up a belt is squeeking, but once the car is warmed up and driven a bit, its gone.... i was wondering the same thing too

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I get this noise on my '01 as well, only after the car has been sitting overnight ..it goes away after few minutes. I'm at 60k

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you car only has 24k, then it's probably in the tensioner. Take it to the dealer or buy a maintenance manual and do it yourself, but the car is still fairly new you should have any problems with the belt. My IS on the other hand is an 01 and it squeaks early in the morning when i first start her up, but then goes away later on.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I also hear a noise when I first start the car in the morning. It really does sound like a belt... but it lasts for less than a minute and is bearly audible even when it does make the noise. I'm not sure if I should check it out... but it's so faint and goes away so quickly that I fear I'll do more damage by checking it out than if I just leave it alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine does the same thing (usually only when it is damp outside). After the engine is warm, the chirping stops. With the engine running, I dripped a few drops of water on the belt, and the noise went away until the water dried... then it came back... so it is the belt. (I was worried about a bearing in one of the accessories).

The belt looks fine, but it is about due to be replaced.

(BTW, I have ~57k on the odometer).

·
Registered
385 Posts
EricF said:
Probably the serpentine belt, which runs all of the the accessories. My '01 started making noise at around 50k miles, and seems to only be audible after the car has been wet or it is overly humid.

The dealer (Plaza in STL) applied some belt lube, which is a total joke. It silenced the belt for maybe 3 days, now it is back to normal. I was quoted $130 from Plaza for a replacement, but it can be done cheaper if you do it yourself. I wouldn't worry about anything bad coming from this, other than an annoying noise. The belt should last to at least 60k (not sure on the exact spec).

BTW- if you take your car to a dealer, go to Plaza. They have the best prices around, from what I've noticed.
My dealer did the same thing...applied belt lube which lasted about 3 days on my 01 IS300, I have about 52,000 on the car, the only time I hear noise is when the belt is wet, I'll probably replaced it around 55,000.

·
Registered
101 Posts
im @ 57k on my 01', and in the cold mornings for 20-30 seconds i get that squeal then it goes away

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it sounds like everyone has the same issue. Usually occurs a little in the mornings, then goes away. Does this mean it's not that big of a deal and is normal? Many of you that say it is happening have 50k + on your ride.....I only have 24. That's why it bothers me a little more.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mines does it too. I apply belt dressing/lube from time to time. It might be that since our belts are at the front of the car, the air dries the belt out causing it to dry and create the noise. I havent seen any effect on the performance of the car so I really dont mind now cause like everyone else, it goes away after a couple of seconds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts