Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to belle tire today to have my Avon M550 A/S tires mounted, balanced and 4 wheel alignment done. they quoted me a price over the phone for the whole shot. so i get there, and they say it's gonna cost another $3 to dispose of the old wheels. i said that's fine, their price was still at least $2 less than the other shops.
so they mount and balance the tires and take them out for test drive, come back and put the car on the alignment rack. the tech comes in and tells me it's gonna be another $20 to do the alignment because they have to deflate all 4 to mount the reflector to the wheel, and then reinflate to do the adjustments. so now i'm looking for another place to get my alignment done. i mean, $20 for air? "well, that's the standard charge, sir" "no thanks, i'll get it done someplace else"
just thought i'd share that
dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
went to Sears today to have the alignment done. i dropped the car off, went to lunch with the g/f, came back an hour later and they were about to do the car. their time estimate was a bit longer than i expected, so i told them i'd get the car after work. on the way home to get ready for work, i get a call. they said that no adjustments were needed and i could come pick the car up. they refunded the money and said it was no charge, and apologized a few times for it taking so long. i got very lucky!

the reason i even thought i'd need an alignment in the first place was because i just removed my 19"s, and raised the car back up. i thought for sure the camber was gonna be out, but it was still in specs on the printout.
dave

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds fishy to me....how much did you raise the car back up? Even 1/2" is going to mess up your alignment settings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i raised it up about another inch. the alignment i had done with the 19"s was dead on, so in a way, it's no surprise that it's still within spec. i still have to raise the passenger rear up a little, as it's not quite the same height as the rest of the car, and it has the most negative camber of the 4 wheels. i'm using HKS HyperMax II coilovers.
dave

·
Registered
596 Posts
In general lowering the car adds negative camber, thats why lowered cars wear tires on the inside usually. Gen 1 IS came from the factory with a lot of negative camber, not sure about the new IS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Too bad you aren't in PA. Last week i got all four tires mounted and balanced, four wheel alignment (dropped on eibachs), and disposal of the old tires. The grand total was $50. Can't beat a local shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts